1DMk iv vs Mk iii buffer performance

Edit My Images
Yes
All,

I’ve just ordered a 1dmkiv - however reading online (after I’ve ordered it :D) it seems that buffer performance could be similar to the iii - anyone have any experience ?

If so - it won’t do, the buffer on the mkiii is tiny and painfully slow when writing to cf and sd simultaneously - even with fast cards.

Thanks
Chris

I had a 1D4 and a 1D3 , pretty sure the 4 was a lot faster at writing, think the 3 was limited to 10mb/s , the 4 is 58mb.

Having said that, i never used both slots, just the CF

Last edited:
Ah ok, thanks. Yep, I use both slots, mainly for backup, but also my second shooter usually uses this Canon, and his laptop has an sd card slot so it makes things a little easier for my work flow. I am aware that using both slots slows things down, but running dual cards is part of my workflow on all my cameras so not prepared to sacrifice that.

Just in case anyone is interested / finds themselves in the same boat ...

I’ve run some tests of buffer clearing speeds. The mkiii is unaffected by writing to one or two cards. The buffer takes approximately 30 seconds to clear with fast cf and sd cards.

The mkiv however takes about 12-15 seconds with only a cf card in the slot. Writing to both cf and sd brings this down to the same speed as the Mk III!

Not sure if I’ll be keeping this - I hate running one card in the slot and waiting for the buffer to clear is a real pain.

Back