1Dmk3 + Football

Name
Andy Jones
Edit My Images
Yes
Given all the debate about the AF on the mk3 I decided to nip along to the local footie match this evening. Of course my 135L isn't exactly ideal but I waited for the action to come to me and I have to say the AF didn't miss a beat, any errors were mine rather than the camera.

As usual, whenever I point a camera at a pitch all the action is at the other end but there were a couple of moments when I could fill the frame, here's a few of the better ones.

SPP_6785.jpg

SPP_6792.jpg

SPP_6874.jpg

All ISO 3200, f/2.2 and 1/320s to 1/1250s

crop into the third one and it's a winner :)

I aint convinced about mine yet.. but it could be the lens.. I think I am backfocusing and may need to try and calibrate it to the camera.. don't suppose anyone has any tips how :(

Pictures within a close range are brilliant.. but furthur away (cross pitch) are poor.. using a canon 300l the older non is version.

I suspect you might need to send the lens off for calibration. The micro adjust might sort it but then change the close focus sharpness as a result.

The best method for tweaking the micro af is to point the lens at an lcd monitor (sturdy tripod needed), focus and then turn on live view. If the focus is right you should see interference patterns. If not adjust and repeat. Google should turn up some more detailed instructions. In your case getting far enough away from the monitor will be the key.

Well I just did a test pointing outside.. I have a birdbox attached to fence and a flower behing the fence.. so all three in view... pointed at the flower from maybe 30ft away... got a luverly in focus flower and the fence and bird box out of focus... absoloutly perfect

then pointed at the fence which is just inches closer and its OOF and the bird box that sticks out 6 inch is bob on..

Hmm.. I wouldnt mind knowing your cfnIII settings or anyones for sport.. I want to use AISERVO and focus using my one point selected by me. i dont want the camera to focus on anything for me or do anything that might change what I am pointing at.. I thought I had settings right... will you share? :)

Last edited:
Ok, here's what I'm using for runners (10k, football, the dog, etc)

cf3.5 1 (focus search off)
cf3.7 2 (adjust by lens)
cf3.9 3 (19 points on the thumbstick)

everything else is on the default so really the only thing I've changed is the focus search and not enabled assist points. If I'm shooting portrait orientation I might enable the left/right points as they will be above/below the selected point and hit the body mass of the subject.

Tracking sensitivity is on the default, I found making it faster led to errors.

But really it comes down to choosing the right point and smooth, accurate tracking of the subject. When you drift off target it seems the AF will start hunting quickly so a lower tracking sensitivity and disabled searching help to keep the focus where it was. I also think the AF is biased towards hunting closer on the assumption that the subject is moving towards camera which might explain the front focus problems Galbraith reported on.

Thanks, I thought it was Yate but couldn't quite be sure. Bloody pub team!

Back