1st Attempt at Tilt shift effect-2 new images added for advice please ?

Name
Lynne
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all & a Happy New Year to you (y)

This year I want to learn a bit more about editing & fancied trying to create a tilt shift effect image . Don't think I have any really suitable images so plumped for this one & gave it a bash using a tutorial I found on-line .

I'm a complete numpty with PSE8 so interested to know if I'm on the right track with this :

DSC_3727 by llj666, on Flickr

Thanks in advance for any comments,advice etc

Lynne

Last edited:
Hi Lynne,

The main purpose of 'tilt-shift' is to correct converging verticals etc, such as 'falling buildings' taken with a wide angle etc. It's hard to see from the subject if this has worked. It might be better to try an image with some vertical lines ?

Hope that helps.

Happy New Year,

Nick

Im not sure but im guessing you were possibly trying to make the bikes appear as toys. If this is the case then im afraid imo it hasnt worked, but im afraid i don't how you do it either

It's a difficult starting image for this effect to work with, it's a long shot taken low down, so the viewer is expecting the background and foreground to be de-focussed.

The toy-effect generally works better with shots taken looking down from a high angle. Low-angled shots will tend to just look defocussed with a narrow DOF.

It's isolated the image well but hasn't 'miniaturised' it.
It works really well with some images but not others. Ones taken at a distance seem to work better.
Nice try though. (y)

From experience I find images taken from above the subject work better with tilt shift :) Only my opinion though. I'd be tempted to turn the saturation up a tiny bit too just to make the colours look more exaggerated

Hi Lynne,

The main purpose of 'tilt-shift' is to correct converging verticals etc, such as 'falling buildings' taken with a wide angle etc. It's hard to see from the subject if this has worked. It might be better to try an image with some vertical lines ?

Hope that helps.

Happy New Year,

Nick

No unfortunately that is not correct. There are two main features on a tilt/shift lens, one of which is tilt which will have absolutely no bearing what so ever on correcting converging or diverging verticals and the other which is Shift of which correcting converging or diverging verticals is just one of its possible uses.

I have tried to explain things a little better here!

I can see what you have tried to do and if only you had a higher vantage point it might have worked...

Heres the sort of angle that can work...

407213_10150559223796882_564021881_10862127_598463004_n.jpg

Have a look at THIS it helped me do these there not perfect but a good start

P1000818-2-2800x450.jpg

Newquayharbour-2-2800x450.jpg

(y)

It's isolated the image well but hasn't 'miniaturised' it.
It works really well with some images but not others. Ones taken at a distance seem to work better.
Nice try though. (y)

Cheers...big learning curve...I won't be beaten :LOL:

From experience I find images taken from above the subject work better with tilt shift :) Only my opinion though. I'd be tempted to turn the saturation up a tiny bit too just to make the colours look more exaggerated

Thanks for the advice...walked myself silly this afternoon trying to find higher viewpoints...crikey...can't belive how flippin difficult it is !

I have to say I agree with what has already been posted Lynne but it looks like the base images was a nice image before it was PSed (y) so at least that's something (y)

Matt
MWHCVT

Cheers Matt (y)

Hooch Lemon & Kyman....cheers for the info...those are def the types of images I'm trying sooo hard to create . Unfortunately I only have PSE8 so a bit limited with the editing but I'll battle on...I WILL NOT BE BEATEN :D

Ok...had another couple of tries today & tried to get a higher view point....

DSC_4152 copy by llj666, on Flickr

DSC_4130 copy by llj666, on Flickr

Hopefully these are abit better ?

I've checked out the tutorial that hooch-lemon linked to but PSE8 does'nt sem to have the facility to create a sttraight line on an image---to get the bit thats not blurred as a block right across the image.....unless someone can tell me how to do that ?

cheers in advance for any more help/comments etc

cheers,Lynne :wave:

Those to are great, I'd be tempted to widen the blur on the 2nd one but keep it under the first floor to create depth :) Colours on the first one are spot on

Much better! :clap:
As Woodford says, widen the in-focus area a little as it's a bit too narrow but the colours are fantastic, especially in the second one.
Well done Lynne! (y)

Back