Beginner 1st attempts at 120 film and pinhole plus 4x5

I would suggest a stronger tripod or at least not using the centre pole, basically you just end up with a heavy camera on a wobbly stick. And as a wise man once said "there's no such thing as bad light, merely the wrong subject" :)
Agreed - I don't use my centre column at all on my lightweight tripod (MeFoto carbon something out another). I've got a heavy alloy Manfrotto in storage back in the UK which I'll break out again next year!

I would suggest a stronger tripod or at least not using the centre pole, basically you just end up with a heavy camera on a wobbly stick. And as a wise man once said "there's no such thing as bad light, merely the wrong subject" :)
I'd agree about the tripod; I extend the legs fully first in preference to using the centre column. I think if I had a LF camera then I'd probably use something like a large Velbon D700 home video tripod with pan and tilt head like this: Velbon D700 Triple Section ProTripod & Telescopic Vel Flo 9 PH-368 Fluid Head | eBay

It's not so much the weight, but the bulk of the camera (and its propensity to catch the breeze and wobble) that I'd be worried about. Something like that old Velbon would give you the height without using the centre column, while remaining stable, without costing £££s like a similar size modern tripod would. Probably a reasonable compromise between build-quality, sturdiness (when all the locking knobs are tightened up), height, weight and price.

It probably won't suit if you've got a bad back or want to take your camera up mountains, but have a look at the weight and see what you think. If you're patient you should be able to find one in good condition and full working order for between £25 and £50. If the removable QB-6RL mounting plate is missing then they're still available for around £10 or less from eBay and Amazon sellers. The DV-7000 is the more modern version but tends to sell for a bit more and isn't quite as tall and doesn't have retractable spikes on its feet.

Last edited:
Good to see you out playing with your pressie.

As Andy says , best to keep the center column lower if possible.
The legs full extended with maybe a few inches of column would be a better option.
That tripod is very basic but believe or not it’s rated at 8kg so for a 1kg intrepid it’s not going to collapse.
Tbh I found the legs to be pretty sturdy but yes as time goes onand you get more into LF , you may want to upgrade.

How did you find using the loupe under a darkcloth ( which looks quite smart btw)
I may not have mentioned that the loupe has diopter control if you have a need ;)

Be sure to post up your results.

Organised bag is good also perhaps a waistcoat type top with several large pockets ( like them country type wear) especially if you go out alone.
Icarry a small plastic sheet. ( bin liner will do) to sit the bag and accessories on so they don’t have to sit on wet or filthy ground.
Two exposures in 45 mins..... flip it can take me that long to get set up and focused lol
You’re already doing machine gun exposing!;)

One exposure a twelve, it’s irrelevant so long as you have fun.

Thanks, I've only bought what I considered absolutely essential. I couldn't justify new "proper" 8x10 developing trays at £40 - if I find some used ones in time then great. My largest paper (Harman Direct Positive) is only 4x5 so the 75p sandwich boxes are the perfect size.

The blackout material is the seconds version of this: https://www.easyblindsonline.co.uk/blackout-material/black-blackout-material . It only had one pinhole which was easily covered with gaffer tape.

I have no idea what materials you haveavailable for your darkroom work but if you need dodging tools, I made these ( saw a similar idea on internet).

Coat hanger wire, black card cut to shape and some black insulation tape.

A5CBE1B9-1CB3-4D84-92B3-0B2A5D9B2419.jpeg

Thanks all for the tripod advice - noted and will action next time. The "wobble" didn't even cross my mind! Thankfully there was no wind whilst out though. Will see how I get on with this tripod 1st but my mum has a good quality one I can use if required.

Pleased to see Andysnap picked up on my light excuse. :)
Good to see you out playing with your pressie.

As Andy says , best to keep the center column lower if possible.
The legs full extended with maybe a few inches of column would be a better option.
That tripod is very basic but believe or not it’s rated at 8kg so for a 1kg intrepid it’s not going to collapse.
Tbh I found the legs to be pretty sturdy but yes as time goes onand you get more into LF , you may want to upgrade.

How did you find using the loupe under a darkcloth ( which looks quite smart btw)
I may not have mentioned that the loupe has diopter control if you have a need ;)

Be sure to post up your results.

Organised bag is good also perhaps a waistcoat type top with several large pockets ( like them country type wear) especially if you go out alone.
Icarry a small plastic sheet. ( bin liner will do) to sit the bag and accessories on so they don’t have to sit on wet or filthy ground.
Two exposures in 45 mins..... flip it can take me that long to get set up and focused lol
You’re already doing machine gun exposing!;)

One exposure a twelve, it’s irrelevant so long as you have fun.

I found the loupe easy to use thanks and got what I thought was focus quite easily. I struggled a bit to keep the £15 dark cloth on the camera - it's got velcro but I need to practice with it. The biggest issue I found was composition with everything being reversed and the edges of the glass being considerably less bright.

I went for f16 and subsequent meter readings were 1/30 and 1/15 inc compensating one stop for a yellow filter (told you it was bad light even for Foma 400). I did the preview & focussing at the widest aperture. When focus was locked I then (with preview closed and film holder in) used the settings as above (I don't think any of the phone pics were me taking a shot but were just getting ready).

I've loaded the 2 sheets from today (plus one other interior test shot) taco style in the 3 reel tank kindly given to me by Stephen M . I'm going to dev them tomorrow as too much happening here tonight (kids showers and Girl Guides via Zoom).

I'll definitely post the results tho. I don't think I'll be able to scan them on the V550 so if there is anything on them I'll do some contact prints on Saturday morning.

I'm going to sit and get organised with bags etc.

Thanks again for all the advice.

Last edited:
The "wobble" didn't even cross my mind!

Once you have set the shutter , installed the filmholder and removed the darkslide......Wait a second or two for the camera to 'stable' iteslf ( regardless of tripod) before firing the shutter.

The process of darkslide removal inevitable installs slight camera movement

I have no idea what materials you haveavailable for your darkroom work but if you need dodging tools, I made these ( saw a similar idea on internet).

Coat hanger wire, black card cut to shape and some black insulation tape.

View attachment 300650
I got most of the basics (easel, trays, tongues, thermometers, print glazer, contact frames etc) as part of the bundle that came with a 35mm enlarger. The cheap trays come in handy still for when I dev Harman Direct Positive in a dark bag. However for most darkroom work inc wet printing I'm still very much at a beginner level so dodging and burning are something I've yet to try but I'm always keen on making something so will bear this mind.

I don't think I'll be able to scan them on the V550 so if there is anything on them I'll do some contact prints on Saturday morning.

I definitely wouldn't want to dissuade you from contact printing, but I've scanned 4x5 on my V500. I make 2 scans which are overlapping, and use the panorama facility in Affinity Photo to stitch them together. It's a bit of a pain as a workflow, but it works and so far the stitching has been flawless. Other software is available!

Well due to family life it's taken 8 days to get round to deving my first 4x5 sheets. There has been some success (50 or 33.3%!)
IMG_20201210_212611623.jpg
I was just messing with the camera indoors and it seems fairly well exposed and focused from the wet neg. Pleased with this one! It's a nearly selfie - I did all the focus etc and my ever understanding wife fired the cable release.

IMG_20201210_212552647.jpg

Partial success. Doesn't look too well focused or exposed - of course there is only half an image. I only pulled the dark slide out halfway....

Shot 3 is completely black so I guess unexposed somehow - I've got a feeling I didn't release the shutter or remove the dark slide at all.

So I know I can do the taco method at least. Much more practice required with the camera. I think I might just practice on somethings indoors or in the garden - they won't be particularly good shots but it will start getting me used to the camera and the whole LF process.

Oh, and the Foma dyed the dev green!

Excellent start, way better than my first few LF! Massive Dev Chart suggested doing a pre-wash with my Foma 100 in HC 110 B, and the pre-wash came out green, dev fine. Doesn't matter really as I only do one-shot devving, but I'd still do it...

I've had 2 temporary darkrooms (bathroom and under the stairs/pantry) whilst both worked they were not conducive to family life. So I'm now in the process of building a semi permanent darkroom in part of my shed - semi as we accepted an offer on our house 2 days ago.

In essence the darkroom will be a small ply room within the shed. It will have power, water and ventilation but I'll be able to be take it down relatively easily when we and the shed move - it is simply 4 ply walls and a ceiling. It's absolutely foul weather today so no good for outdoor woodworking. I'll post pictures of the room when there is more to see than just cut ply.

So back indoors and dry fit & test the ventilation:IMG_20201223_122628929.jpgIMG_20201223_122620762.jpgIMG_20201223_122628929.jpg
Principle is fine and no issues apart from too much extraction (4amp and 235 CFM!) - may purchase a cheap motor controller or DC stepdown to slow it down at 9 or 10v.

Safelight for wet printing only:
IMG_20201223_122244259.jpg
An old 12v fluorescent tube inspection lamp I've had for ages with 2 cheap sheets of lighting gel wrapped round it.

And now, the piece de resistance (accent free especially for Asha), the Frankensink (TM and Pat Pending):IMG_20201223_124523204.jpgIMG_20201223_124512245.jpg
I know it's ugly but when it's properly secured and sited it does the job perfectly believe it or not

Didn't Marcel Duchamp do something similar? :exit:

I've had 2 temporary darkrooms (bathroom and under the stairs/pantry) whilst both worked they were not conducive to family life. So I'm now in the process of building a semi permanent darkroom in part of my shed - semi as we accepted an offer on our house 2 days ago.

In essence the darkroom will be a small ply room within the shed. It will have power, water and ventilation but I'll be able to be take it down relatively easily when we and the shed move - it is simply 4 ply walls and a ceiling. It's absolutely foul weather today so no good for outdoor woodworking. I'll post pictures of the room when there is more to see than just cut ply.

So back indoors and dry fit & test the ventilation:View attachment 302963View attachment 302964View attachment 302963
Principle is fine and no issues apart from too much extraction (4amp and 235 CFM!) - may purchase a cheap motor controller or DC stepdown to slow it down at 9 or 10v.

Safelight for wet printing only:
View attachment 302965
An old 12v fluorescent tube inspection lamp I've had for ages with 2 cheap sheets of lighting gel wrapped round it.

And now, the piece de resistance (accent free especially for Asha), the Frankensink (TM and Pat Pending):View attachment 302966View attachment 302967
I know it's ugly but when it's properly secured and sited it does the job perfectly believe it or not

Just love la piece de resistance:love:

Do you offer a mail order service ? ( duty free outside of the Uk of course :p )

Well after spending all winter and spring preparing to move we've been in the new house 5 weeks. Must be time to get the Intrepid out!

Fired off 6 shots rapidly - just wanted to use it, practice and load up some sheet film. Eldest dtr enjoyed using the dark cloth to be "Dracula" and even had a go with the loupe, cable release etc.

IMG_20210620_182055127.jpg
However the main issue was that the sturdy tripod broke, the screw to hold pan has come out and threads seem stripped and I was worried the camera would fall to the floor. I got my wobbly cheapo tripod out so at least the camera was safe but nothing on that tripod would hold the camera steady so there is jeopardy on what I've actually shot.

Didn't mind tho, just nice to be using the camera and not doing anything house related. Will dev the film in the week.

I hope everyone is well.

Last edited:
Well after spending all winter and spring preparing to move we've been in the new house 5 weeks. Must be time to get the Intrepid out!

Fired off 6 shots rapidly - just wanted to use it, practice and load up some sheet film. Eldest dtr enjoyed using the dark cloth to be "Dracula" and even had a go with the loupe, cable release etc.

View attachment 321907
However the main issue was that the sturdy tripod broke, the screw to hold pan has come out and threads seem stripped and I was worried the camera would fall to the floor. I got my wobbly cheapo tripod out so at least the camera was safe but nothing on that tripod would hold the camera steady so there is jeopardy on what I've actually shot.

Didn't mind tho, just nice to be using the camera and not doing anything house related. Will dev the film in the week.

I hope everyone is well.

So soon we’ll see a print of you taken on LF by your daughter??

‘There again perhaps better if you take a portrait of her seeing as the end result will likely be more pleasing to the eye:exit::p:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Yes she's taken a shot of me which may get shown on the forum - if it comes out! I did a portrait of her too. However I make a specific point of not putting identifiable pics of my school age kids on the internet - hence the phone shot purposefully chopping her head off.

Back