1st go at light painting

S

stupar

Had my first go at this light painting stuff and this is what I came up with.

I would appreciate hints and tips from the regular light painters on here as I'd like to do some more.
To do this one it was simply a black bath towel on the floor and the screen light from my mobile phone.

I think a better light light would be a good starting point.
This shot was an 8 second exposure at f8.

Anyway hints, tips and comments welcome.

6607298555_83113fe274_b_d.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that you've done a really good job on this for a first attempt (y) I would consider a smaller aperture to broaden the DoF (y) and maybe a little more light on the tail section (y) but it's a really clean light paint and I think that you've done a stella job in managing the light (y)

Matt
MWHCVT

I think that you've done a really good job on this for a first attempt (y) I would consider a smaller aperture to broaden the DoF (y) and maybe a little more light on the tail section (y) but it's a really clean light paint and I think that you've done a stella job in managing the light (y)

Matt
MWHCVT

Cheers Matt.

I had another go with a car instead (below) at f16 to increase the DoF

6608480197_1fbd6e2aa2_b_d.jpg

Cheers Matt, practice makes perfect.
Do you have any recommendations for a better light source?
I was thinking of a mini maglite or something.

Cheers Matt, practice makes perfect.
Do you have any recommendations for a better light source?
I was thinking of a mini maglite or something.

Well I use a double AA maglight for all my still life light painting (y) and indeed practice makes perfect (y) I might reach perfection one day :thinking:

Matt

Well I use a double AA maglight for all my still life light painting (y) and indeed practice makes perfect (y) I might reach perfection one day :thinking:

Matt

Cheers Matt, think I might pick myself one up and try some more.

When you get the hang of it share your tips :D (y)

The mini is great. Black is very difficult to lightpaint and you have done very well. The smaller aperture has really helped.

Re light sources, imagination is your only limiting factor. I have a powerfull led torch but have made lightboxes for it using an empty tinfoil box and some grease proof paper. Gives me a much softer light to work with.
IMG_5321.jpg

A lot better on the DoF front but needs a little more light on the roof (y) and maybe also some more light on the far wing (y) but only a little to show the shape (y) against the background (y)

Matt

I really like it as it is; kind of merging with the background. I think maybe more light would have destroyed the creative effect and made it just a picture of a model car?

Plus, Mini's are iconic enough that just a suggestion of the shape is enough!

Mark

Southdowns said:
I really like it as it is; kind of merging with the background. I think maybe more light would have destroyed the creative effect and made it just a picture of a model car?

Plus, Mini's are iconic enough that just a suggestion of the shape is enough!

Mark

Cheers Mark,

There probably is room for improvement like Matt said, but I quite like this one.
Like you I like the fade into the black too.

I agree with southdowns, I love the mini pic but I'm a mini nut so it would appeal to me. But as said, the shape is so iconic it'll always be recognised and I like it merging into the background.

Back