1st lens advice :)

Name
2a
Edit My Images
Yes
Ok so as a fresher in camera world, i have checked out two versatile lenses and i cant make a decision
money does not matter
What one do you think is best for an all round lens for a 1st time user and for wedding photography?

17-70mm sigma f/2.8-4.5 dc macro or EF 24-70mmf/2.8L USM ?

please let me know what you all think and what is the crack with a light meter? is it worth getting? I know there is a light meter in my SLR but is it more important to get a non reflective light meter?

thank you in advance

VQ

Well if money doesn't matter than the 24-70mm F2.8 anyday.

A completely different leauge.

Not sure what camera you have, but between those two lenses (and I have owned both) the 24-70 is likely to have the edge, mine certainly did. HOWEVER (and this is important):

With lenses, the law of diminishing returns applies more than ever. The sigma (if you get a good example) is a simply stunning lens with a very useful range (especially on a crop body, you may find 24 isn't wide enough for wedding groups) and is as sharp and contrasty as you like.

The Canon is a pro spec lens in every respect, whether you are comfortable spending the extra on it or not, I can't say - but either lens should do you proud.

Cheers,
James

Re - Light Meter

Opinions vary on this one, but mine is... waste of money for 99.9% of what you shoot

Your camera will do a great job anyway, and all you have to do is learn where it struggles a bit - which is sooooo easy these days with digital cameras; and if a shot's so complex you're still in doubt, take several shots at different exposures (called bracketing) one of them will be fine and a separate meter won't have helped anyway

Interesting location btw, how's the weather (grey, miserable and raining here!)

DD

After doing a lot of research to decide on my first lens, I went with the 17-50mm 2.8 Tamron. By all accounts it's extremely good, and not too pricey - £200 from OSD. But there are a lot of very good mid-range zooms out there! I was very tempted by the Sigma 24-70 f2.8, but in the end I thought I'd miss the wider options that the Tamron provides more than the extra range of the Sigma.

Moos3h - I only have the beginners. Canon EOS 400d...Yeah the wide limitation on the 24-70 was the only thing bringing me doubt, that and the + on the cash but i seem to get some good prices in Korea and the haggling in the shops here is crazy!
I have two weeks till payday so more photo exploring...

[Edit] Would you say the EF lens is as versitile for everyday shooting as the sigma??

DiddyDave
Yeah iv read some stuff on some forums and the light meters get a stunning review..I guess ill do some more research
as for the weather here is by far better than England, when its cold the sun is still shining so its bright here all the time, rarely rains and the summer is coming real close and the scenery is just amazing, with all the mountains and stuff so hopefull I can get some real good landscapes..

So here on i will hunt .. lens shopping is so frustrating there is always another suggestion here and there and your brain just goes haywired and before you know it your on another hunt!!!
arghh

Well I'm full-frame, so for me 24-70 is just peachy.

However if you're wanting to shoot a massive range of situations, not having the range is a problem, what would you do if you didn't have the mm to get the shot?

If you really need the wide, grab the Sigma. If you're confident that it's not crucial, then the Canon is a beaut and if it's affordable, do it!

Cheers,
James

I'm broadly with Moos3h on this. There's no simple right choice. Both are very good lenses. If you bought the Canon, there would probably be times when you wished you could go wider than 24mm. If you bought the Sigma, there would probably be times when you wished you could shoot portraits at f/2.8 at 75mm.

Personally, for weddings I think the constant f/2.8 would have the priority. You usually have a number of options with regard to composition, but not necessarily with the lighting.

(And if money were *really* no object, I would get a Canon Ef-S 10-22mm to complement the 24-70L, for those times when you really *need* to go wide.)

Ok so I went with the sigma ..i went to a korean camera market and got the lens for around 150quid with a UV lens and an extra batt! For the price its well worth it..for some reason they did not seem to have the 24-70
Just to let you guys know that korea has a SLR frenzy so grabbing acessories is seeming to be wonderfully cheap!
hopefully i ll grab some good pictures and post them up for some advice
thanks for all your help and advice
also I found a canon XL2 for 1500quid..you think its worth getting anyone?

x

Just to let you guys know that korea has a SLR frenzy so grabbing acessories is seeming to be wonderfully cheap!
That doesn't make sense, does it? Strong demand tends to hold prices up rather than force them down... at least, it does in the economics texts I've studied...

That doesn't make sense, does it? Strong demand tends to hold prices up rather than force them down... at least, it does in the economics texts I've studied...

but if you got 10 people selling the same thing within 5 minutes, the cheapest gets the custom most of the time.

Back