1st time Smoke trails

S

stupar

Seen as the weather was rubbish today I decided to play with the camera indoors and had my first go at smoke trails using incense sticks.

Here's the best of the bunch. Its amazing the shapes the smoke can form and how it looks to the human eye

Feel free to comment

1. (looks like a skull or Alien head)
5194466747_0fb9206331_b_d.jpg

5195067596_08e01a441c_b_d.jpg

3. (smoking mushrooms)
5194466339_97c6ca9630_b_d.jpg

5195067080_8bf124962c_b_d.jpg

Thanks guys.
Always fancied doing this but the hardest part was trying to track down incense sticks :thinking: then I came across some in a small craft shop up north :D
I am pleased with my first results.

Nice shots, Stuart, could you explain your set up please.
Thanks
Dave

Nice shots, Stuart, could you explain your set up please.
Thanks
Dave

Sure thing Dave,

Camera mounted on tripod with 18-55 lens set to MF.
Incense stick placed approx 10 inches in front of camera
Camera left - constant LED light source to highlight the smoke (approx 3-4 inches from incense stick)
Camera right - flashgun with snoot to direct light straight to smoke (approx 6-12 inches from incense stick depending upon power output)
Black backdrop
WB set to tungsten for blue shots
Other colours achieved in photoshop with WB temperature shift

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for that, must give it a try.

Hiya Stuart,

I am well impressed :clap: and with a 1000D too ;)

This is one of my projects for the deep dark winter months. Have you seen some of the shots ZuluArt has produced using this technique? His work is amazing.

Now you have really inspired me to get my butt into gear and get some shots like this.

Well done and I look forward to seeing more of your creativity.

Btw, how are you finding the 1000D? I absolutely love mine.

Cheers

Dawn :)

Hiya Stuart,

I am well impressed :clap: and with a 1000D too ;)

This is one of my projects for the deep dark winter months. Have you seen some of the shots ZuluArt has produced using this technique? His work is amazing.

Now you have really inspired me to get my butt into gear and get some shots like this.

Well done and I look forward to seeing more of your creativity.

Btw, how are you finding the 1000D? I absolutely love mine.

Cheers

Dawn :)

Cheers Dawn!

The smoke trails was always something I wanted to do too and I really enjoyed taking these shots. Something quite satisfying about it.

In situations like this the 1000D is a very capable camera and I have enjoyed using it over the last year and a half, however I think my skills and potential are starting to outgrow the body so next year I plan to upgrade the body, just not sure what to yet!

Back