1st try with Lastolite Hilite!

Name
Edward Bray
Edit My Images
Yes
Ordered a 6'x7' Lastolite Hilite background on Monday which I received on Tuesday, first available time to try this out was this afternoon, and on first look, I'm very pleased.

Only one cheap chinese studio flashlight used to light the background which I will address in the future by using one on each side, main light was an Elinchrom 400BX through a large octobox. No model on hand I'm afraid so I just shot my 100-400L placed on my posing stool.

Only a little sharpening and -0.8 rotation, no other PP. Canon 5D & 100 Macro

100-400.jpg

My Daughter and Grandkids popped out, lucky for me, unlucky for them. Encouraged (bribed) them to model for me whilst the background was up!

Added an additional light to the right side of the BG for pictures 2, 3 and 4.

5D + 100 macro for shots 1, 2 & 3, 5D and 24-105L for shot 4

Lucas
Lucas.jpg

Lucas
LouLaughingcopy.jpg

Kelly
Kelly.jpg

Coby
Coby.jpg

As you can see, the background isn't producing enough exposure - you need either more light on the background or less on the subject. Simply clicking on the background to create a white point doesn't really help, it just destroys the fine detail.

Also, although the Hi-Lite background does allow you to place your subject close to the background you need a bit more distance than you've got - you can see light spill from the background on the faces of your subjects.

The results are promising though, you just need to tweak it a bit and you'll be there.

Looking for a white/graduated background rather than hi key effect specifically. I like some modelling to be evident!

Looking for a white/graduated background rather than hi key effect specifically. I like some modelling to be evident!

Personally, I agree. Pure white backgrounds (which have nothing to do with high key) compress distance and make the shot look two-dimensional.

The Hi-Lite is really designed to produce a white background, it may be difficult to light it evenly enough if you don't want it to show white - why not just use a grey or white background and just light it to get the effect you want?

Sorry Gary, my quote about the white/graduated background was aimed at Ally's post, not yours.

Personally, I agree. Pure white backgrounds (which have nothing to do with high key) compress distance and make the shot look two-dimensional.

The Hi-Lite is really designed to produce a white background, it may be difficult to light it evenly enough if you don't want it to show white - why not just use a grey or white background and just light it to get the effect you want?

I have various backgrounds including white & black, but fancied something that I could light from behind (or in this case inside). I suffer from a severe lack of space these days and bought the Hilite to see what effects i could produce in a reasonably small space. I will try assorted lighting both inside and outside to see what works and what I like, but as I no longer do any commercial work there is no pressure for me to recoup the cost of it's purchase.

I do appreciate your thoughts though, as although I have been involved with photography since 1979 I am not so arrogant to think I cannot learn anymore or adopt different techniques!

Back