2 kit lenses

Name
Fabien
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi

I have been given those two kit lenses that were on a film canon slr.

Are they any good?
Pros/cons?

I intend to use them with a Canon 60d that I have just ordered

Thanks

Last edited:
Hi Fabien

They should work on your 60D and as a starting point, they'll be fine. Once you've started to use the camera and lenses, you can see where they are holding you back / their shortcomings are and then look to upgrade them with specific needs.

Hope this helps....

Hi Fabien

They should work on your 60D and as a starting point, they'll be fine. Once you've started to use the camera and lenses, you can see where they are holding you back / their shortcomings are and then look to upgrade them with specific needs.

Hope this helps....
Exactly what I would have said. They aren't new designs and there are many different lenses that would be better - but "better" means different things to different people. So they'll get you started, and then if/when you want to take photos which your lenses won't let you take, you'll know what to look for by way of upgrade.

Am I correct to say that they won't be any good in low light (I mean indoor not dark room)

These are low spec lenses from film days. The 28-90 was the standard zoom that came with the low level slr bodies. Its equivalent for dslr would be a 18-55mm zoom.

They were designed down to a price rather than up to a high standard and they would have given acceptable results for someone who just wanted 6 x 4 prints.

The maximum apertures are not great and the lenses lack IS, so unless you have a monopod or tripod to counter camera shake they are not going to be wonderful in low light.

You can't go wrong really with the 18-55 kit lens as a starter. It's a lot better than its price may suggest! When I started all I had was a nifty fifty, a borrowed 18-55 and a handful of old fd lenses which I used with an adapter on my Dslr. It taught me a lot in a very short space of time because the only way to use them was in manual mode. Hope you enjoy your journey into photography.

Last edited:
Hi Fabien

Hope this helps....

Would I be better off with the first lens or the kit lens on this camera?
http://www.digitalrev.com/product/canon-eos-60d-with-ef/OTc1MQ_A_A

Hi Fabian

Following on from previously - just try the kit lens you get and these see what you like / prefer...

Don't forget, they are also longer focal lengths, so you've quite a distance covered with these and the kit lens to be starting off...

Back