Critique 2 Sisters.

Dale.

Bo Derek
Name
Dale.
Edit My Images
Yes
2 of the 3 Sisters, Glencoe.

After bagging Buachaille Etive Beag on Saturday, plan b (it actually turned into plan C) was to try this one for the second time. I've been there once before but completely bombed, never publishing those images. I'm quite happy with this though, despite the lack of water. It really needs fresh, snow melt, gushing past to really work. I'm still learning ETTR, it's a challenging thing, as the histogram was perfect for this, yet I got blinkies on the highlights in camera. When I processed it, the highlights weren't too bad. I've eased up on shadow recovery lately to avoid the HDR, cartoony look as much as possible and I now lift the exposure in post instead and then tame the highlights.

I always get a shudder when parking for this one, knowing what went on nearby. It's a sketchy spot too, there's not much room for error, you fall, you're probably going in that water. I was suprised too by that pool to the right, I could see the bottom, it was crystal clear but despite the low water level, that pool was an estimated 10 feet deep at least. That tree to the right bugs me, it really does lean like that, as far as I know, it's not distortion but it is something I'll check next time.

Anyway, happy for this one to be torn to shreds, I'm interested in learning this spot better.

2 Out Of 3. by Dale, on Flickr

Last edited:
I like it. Composition is as classic and good as it can be.

You certainly eeked the most out of the day - yeah the lights gone a bit but it's still nice as an overall shot.

One crit - certain spots look better with certain conditions. This is one for just after a period of rain, on a still day so the trees don't blur in exposure. The river is a little light of water.

I was at Alt Dearg falls on Skye on Monday, mine have the same issue - just not enough flow but like you I did it anyway - mainly to refresh my memory for an upcoming workshop I'm taking someone on. It's been dry for so long that happens. Waterfall locations - you wanna get there as soon as after than rain as possible for that flow.

You might have been better served on Rannoch Moor with reflections and leaving this for another day.

is it possible to compose this scene and not cut off right edge of pond in the water but rather have it enclosed with rock? Maybe slightly wider fl or compose a smidgen to the right. Rocks really look as though they need to be wet so just after rain perhaps- i get timing is diddicult to plan.

havent looked at ettr for years. Why not just bracket?

Thanks Jim, all noted.

There's a steep banking to the right, it's sheer and would make a good way of not chopping the pool off the edge of the frame.

I see me back here in November. (y)

I doubt you'd get a better image than that Dale - well exposed and sharp, very nice

Les :)

I like the composition on this one, Its one of the spots I've never visited as parking has always been busy up and down the road so have always felt a little uneasy as not being totally sure how to get down to it.

Thanks. I really need a slighter wider lens to get it all in, this was 17mm and not quite enough. I may stand back a little next time.

It is a sketchy one though, perched on a massive, pointy rock for this one. I held my tripod all the time.

Parking is OK, you need to pick your moment, get a space behind you and hope nothing is coming towards you, pull onto Saville's place, do a 47 point turn, job's a good 'un. (y) You don't need to go near the house, there's enough space just off the road to park. You're literally just off the road.

It's quite steep on the way down, not particularly dangerous but you need to watch your step. I imagine it would be dangerous if slippery. Getting out is not quite a scramble, but not far off, I'd had my workout for the day by the time I got back to the car.

I doubt you'd get a better image than that Dale - well exposed and sharp, very nice

Les :)

Thanks Les, it needs more water, it's impressive then...........and a wider lens.

Last edited:
Back