20-30mm Primes - Nikon Fit

Name
Mike Simpson
Edit My Images
Yes
Hey guys,

Well i've had a good chance to play with the 50mm f/1.8 now, and on the D80 its a dream (had a d40 before, so manual focus). Only problem is now im addicted to the sharpness and DOF and would like a prime to cover a focal length of somewhere inbetween 20 and 30mm.

I shoot mainly automotive stuff (stationary subjects) and find the 50mm perfect in everyway except the focal length. Its just a little too long for my needs.

I've been looking at sereral primes, those being as follows:

Nikon 20mm f/2.8 D - but i don't think i can justify the cost of this.
Sigma 20mm f/1.8 - My favorite at the moment
Sigma 30mm f/1.4 - I've heard this isn't actually that sharp?
Nikon 28mm f/2.8 AF - Opinions on this as it can be picked up extremely cheap.

Is there anything i am missing and should have a look at? The spec and price of the sigma 20mm f/1.8 is very appealing, and looks perfect on paper. Has anybody used it, is it sharp?

Also the thing i love about the 50mm is the DOF that can be achieved at f/1.8, it really helps subjects pop out from the background. Now, am i right in thinking that DOF is smaller the closer the subject distance? So for example if i were to take two photos, one with a 50mm, and one with a 20mm, standing at different distances but so the crop looked the same, the DOF with the 20mm would be smaller?

There's also an AF 24/2.8 which is often to be found for £100-odd that's pretty good. It'd be a 35mm equivalent which makes it quite a nice focal length on a D80. The only disadvantage, and this tends to be true of a lot of the wideangle film primes on digital, is the possibility of a bit of (fixable) CA.

I have a 10-20 so im used to CA! :LOL:

I think i have my heart pretty much set on the 20mm f/1.8, has anybody had any experience with this or have read any good reviews? :)

Sigma 30mm f/1.4 - I've heard this isn't actually that sharp?

NOt sure where you have heard that but my copy is pin sharp. There has been mention of the edges not being that sharp compared to the centre but I have not fouund that.

I posted some pictures here on another thread, but I would suggest you have a look at the Flickr pool for the lens here

hope i'm not hijacking your thread, but i was debating to sell my nikon 50mm f/1.8 and get the sigma 30mm f/1.4 i would appreciate anyone's thought's on this :shrug:

Back