2012 MacBook Pro upgrade to allow Lightroom Upgrade

Name
Tony
Edit My Images
Yes
I have the Lightroom and Photoshop monthly payment plan which has been running fine on my 2012 MacBook Pro which I had upgraded a few years ago with 16mb of ram and a 500gb SSD (what an amazing upgrade that was in every sense)

My trouble now is that the latest Adobe LR and PS upgrade will not run on the newest OSX that my MacBook will accommodate.

Looking on YouTube etc it looks like Monterey and Ventura can be “persuaded“ to run on such an older Mac which would then allow me to update to the latest version of LR etc

My question is this. Am I opening a can of worms by trying to do it (I’m reasonably ok at following instructions) or should I suck it up and leave it alone ?

Many thanks, Tony

Tbh that is a pretty ancient machine really. 10+ years is very good going indeed, for a laptop. I have a 2012 MacMini which I replaced with a new iMac 2 years ago, but which I still use occasionally for ‘legacy’ purposes and to help sort out other peoples’ Mac problems. Hate to say it, but it might be time for a new Mac…

I think you may be able to upgrade using Open Core Legacy Patchers. Before you do anything make sure you have a full backup so that you can get to the stage you are currently at.

Not sure how easy it is to swap the SSD, but may be clone the current SSD then try and upgrade, if it fails you can swap the SSD.

Upgraded the original hard drive a few years ago to an ssd so going to do a full back up and give it a go following a youtuber’s instructions.

When money frees up then yes, maybe it’s time for a new one.

I'm in a similar position, my Thinkpad of similar vintage (also upgraded with an SSD a few years ago) still works perfectly, but it won't run Windows 11. When suppport for Win10 ends in 2025(?) it'll be a matter of biting the bullet on a new laptop, I think.

It may be worthwhile finding out if your existing MacBook's graphics card is ok for the later versions of PhotoShop before spending time and money.
I can say with some confidence a 2012 MBP will be slow with any of the new features in Lightroom that lean hard on the GPU; it’s like night and day between my 2019 i9 MBP 16 for work and my personal 2021 M1 MBP 14

Back