20D problems, someone help? FIXED!

Name
Elliott Brockett
Edit My Images
Yes
Someone shed some light...

Basically went to a car meet today, got the camera out stuck the lens and and it wouldnt take a photo! on AF is focus's perfect but it wont take a picture it just keeps re-focusing, but when i put it on MF it works fine and takes a picture so i know its not my lens?

Anyone know the issue here?

its a canon eos 20D

Answered your PM

It can be the lens if the lens doesn't report to the body that it's moved. In MF, the body doesn't expect a reply so will fire the shutter regardless.
Have you got another lens to try?

Bob

Try pointing the camera directly upwards at the ceiling light or a tree and see if the shutter fires then.

Bob

Nothing works doing that
When i keep my finger down on the trigger just keeps re-focusing

Put the body in AV mode and then try looking through the viewfinder whilst you change the aperture value....does it go darker as you stop down?

Bob

nothing happends...unless im doing it wrong?
turning the main dial on front of the one on top?

Yeah i can see it changing, nothing is getting darker though Bob.

It won't change unless you use the DoF preview button.

Have you tried changing focus mode (servo, one shot etc) - but I suspect CB will be back in asecond so let him continue trouble shooting

Yeah i can see it changing, nothing is getting darker though Bob.

That's good (y)

Okay, here's another one.....

Go into the menu and set CF4 to 1
This will move the focus to the * button on the back of the body and leave the shutter button doing the metering and shutter but it won't wait for AF confirmation.

Press the * button and you should see the lens try to focus....then press the shutter fully down.

Bob

It won't change unless you use the DoF preview button.

Have you tried changing focus mode (servo, one shot etc) - but I suspect CB will be back in asecond so let him continue trouble shooting

Rick....one theory I had was that the DOF preview button maybe stuck. This would prevent the shutter firing in AF but strangely still allows it to work with MF.

Bob

Is it custom function in AV?
If so mine is on 1 already, SET function when shooting, 0: Default (no function)

Bob it works, i know hold down the * to focus then take the photo!

If so mine is on 1 already, SET function when shooting, 0: Default (no function)

That's CF 1

When you get to that menu page then rotate the rear dial until 04 shows in the top right corner. Press the select button in the centre of the dial and then rotate the dial again until it displays 1 AE lock/AF

Then try the test in the previous post.

Bob

The bit above.

Are you now saying that you can focus using AF (on the * button) and then press the shutter and it works okay?

Bob

Yeah i can do that, doesnt seem like its focusing properly like it would when i push the shutter button down!

How comes i now can't use the shutter and have to do it this way?

Probably a good time to take a few shots and see if they're in focus or not.

I'll have to figure out why it works one way and not the other. I've got my 20D here trying to replicate the problem.

Let me know how the shots turn out.

Bob

Yeah i can do that, doesnt seem like its focusing properly like it would when i push the shutter button down!

How comes i now can't use the shutter and have to do it this way?

because you have the custom function set to move the focus to the * button.

have a read through your manual or someone can advise what the fucntion number is.

not sure how youd turn that on without noticing though?

because you have the custom function set to move the focus to the * button.

have a read through your manual or someone can advise what the fucntion number is.

not sure how youd turn that on without noticing though?

Neil....read post # 10 above :LOL:

Bob

it is a weird problem and definitely not his lenses as they worked fine on my 20 :D

its strange, as the camera can find the focus, but doesnt stop tracking when it finds the focus. the focus point flashes red and then keeps tracking. lol

Im having problems with my focus too!! .. Hm! Although i suspect my lens is at fault.

I'll watch this thread incase im wrong though!

Problem now fixed by lammypaul, thanks for all the help people especially canon bob

Back