21st birthday results, cokin filter questions

Edit My Images
Yes
Well, the birthday has been and gone, and left in it's wake is a nikkor 12-24!

I'm going to get the obligatory filter kit and have been looking at the various cokin series. I've got a few questions though.

* Which cokin systems can work with lee filters? (I might buy one heavy ND Lee filter to avoid the cokin cast.)
* Which cokin system would you all recommend to work with the 12-24?
* Which particular filters should I be getting straight off? I was thinking of ND2 and 4 grads.

Cheers folks. I'm off to Portland now to try out the new lens!

Are there any other filter manufacturers that are better than cokin but still affordable?

Also in the wake is a mint Zeiss Ikonta and a pile of FP4. 21st rock!

Well, the birthday has been and gone, and left in it's wake is a nikkor 12-24!

Happy Birthday, aren't you the lucky one.

* Which cokin systems can work with lee filters? (I might buy one heavy ND Lee filter to avoid the cokin cast.)

I believe the Cokin 100mm (same as Lee) system is the Pro Z but I would recommend a barge pole first

* Which cokin system would you all recommend to work with the 12-24?

None - Cokin are french :razz: and other than ND Grads there is little to be gained in using a slot filter system so little point in getting any Cokins IMO. Get the Lee digital starter set; you know it's the right thing to do.

* Which particular filters should I be getting straight off? I was thinking of ND2 and 4 grads.

Personally I'd get at least a 2 stop ND Grad (this comes with the Lee digital starter set)

Are there any other filter manufacturers that are better than cokin but still affordable?

Hitech produce filters for both the 85mm (P series) and 100mm (Pro Z / Lee) range and these are reported to be a step above Cokins but not in the Lee class.

Tip; if you get any round flters (other than the protecting sort) get the best you can afford and buy 77mm filters (or the size of the largest if you have one bigger) then use step up rings for each of your lenses.

Hey skullfish

I've no advice regarding filters unfortunately. I'd be interested to see your snapping around Portland though (presume you mean Dorset not Oregon!). I go down there for work occasionally as the company I work for have an office and a couple of ships based there.

Dave

I have just ordered some Lee Filters to replace my Cokin P filters for a 12-24 Nikon lens. There is at least a four week waiting list at all suppliers. The only way to get them quicker is to pay more than rrp on ebay, so used fetches a higher price than new! My main reason for changing is vignetting on the 12-24 as well as the fact that I keep breaking the filter holders and/or bending the 77mm thread adaptor. Lee are far more robust.

For my landscape shots, I couldn't be without my ND grads, the 0.6 is used the most so you don't always have to start with a set. I have used the Cokins to good effect and didn't find too much discolouration from them, just a very light pink / purple sometimes which warms pics up a bit in the clouds which is not the worst thing to have!

HiTec are the other brand I hear very good things about with an affordable price.

Cheapest supplier I found for Lee Filters is morco.uk.com who were the supplier partner at Focus On Imaging show at the Lee Filter stand.

Look forward to the Portland pics as my most recent were from Lulworth Cove a few weeks ago and Portland is on my list for next visit to the beautiful Dorset coast.

Back