24-105 L is canon

Name
mike
Edit My Images
Yes
Right guys got the Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG sorted thanks to your advice.

Next question whats peoples thoughts on the 24-105 is L, will again be used on the 400D and eventually on the 40D.

The main use i guess would be a general walk about lens

your advice is much appreciated.

mike

I also have this lens. Sold one of the sigma's for it. They don't come any better. You will not be disappointed.

love it....

love it

nearly all my pictures are taken with this little baby..

md(y)

I like mine, and it's a great walkaround, when the light is good, but it doesn't wow me with its sharpness like my Tamron 28-75mm does. The IS is handy, but I would tend to choose an f/2.8 lens instead for the extra stop, particularly when shooting indoors. Maybe consider Canon's 24-70 f/2.8 L also?

doesn't wow me with its sharpness

In that case my firend, you have a duff lens because my 24-105 L is the sharpest lens I've shot with, period. It outperfoms many prime lenses on portrait shoots.

Mike, go for it, it's arguably the best walkabout lens on the market.

Next question whats peoples thoughts on the 24-105 is L, will again be used on the 400D and eventually on the 40D.

mike

Thanks for this thread, it saved me starting one with the same question. (y)

I love my 24-105 and its a great walkabout lens on my 5d. With the crop factor of the 400/40 bodies though you might want to consider the 24-70 especially as for the same money you get the f2.8 low light and shallow DOF ability. Unless you need the extra length of the 105 i'd be tempted to go for the f2.8.

I love my 24-105 and its a great walkabout lens on my 5d. With the crop factor of the 400/40 bodies though you might want to consider the 24-70 especially as for the same money you get the f2.8 low light and shallow DOF ability. Unless you need the extra length of the 105 i'd be tempted to go for the f2.8.

I agree. 24-70 on a FF though i think i would be left short, which is why i love my 24-105 for the extra 35mm.

mike

Hey Mike,

DO consider 24-70 IS L 2.8 too. Will come really handy in dim lit cathedral and churches etc :)

In that case my firend, you have a duff lens because my 24-105 L is the sharpest lens I've shot with, period. It outperfoms many prime lenses on portrait shoots.

I suspect that he hasn't got a "duff lens" but more likely a larger sensor than you have.
The 24-105 is indeed quite good and even more so in the image region used by a crop sensor. I think judging it to "out perform" primes (assuming of a similar market quality) is pushing it just a little too far though.

Bob

That completely depends on the setting and situation of the shoot. You can easily beat a prime if you're in a low-light church and you need to be able to move around people and have the flexibility of zoom to be able to frame appropriately.

:agree:

I suspect that he hasn't got a "duff lens" but more likely a larger sensor than you have.
The 24-105 is indeed quite good and even more so in the image region used by a crop sensor. I think judging it to "out perform" primes (assuming of a similar market quality) is pushing it just a little too far though.

Bob

That's why I said "some" primes, based on the results of tests I've seen and done. There's no doubting that a prime lens will almost always be sharper than a zoom, but the 24-105 is one of the shrperst zooms out there, and when compared to primes in the same sort of market range, it performs extremely well.

And it's not how big your sensor is, but how well you use it :D

Same money?? Where...!! Places I've looked at the 24-70mm is at least a few hundred quid more. Although I guess if you're spending that amount of money, a few hundred quid more isn't rediculous.

Just curious, why would the 24-70 make more sense on a crop than the 24-105? I guess you mean as you don't lack reach with the crop factor which you might at 70mm on FF... Would be interested to know if there's anything else!!

I'm saving up for my first L lens - which at the moment is looking like being the 24-105.... but willing to be persuaded otherwise!

Eddie

did anyone mention just how good the 24-105 is?

It's my favourite lens :D

well thanks a lot you bunch, just cost me some serious £££, again !!

just had to part with some hard earned for the 24-105 is L,

Seriously, thanks for the advice, :clap: cant wiat for them to arrive so i can have a fiddle.

might have to fib a bit to the wife if she asks just how much :LOL:

thats the 12-24 sorted and the 24-105 too

Next on the list is the 70-200 is L F4, or the F2.8

which do you concider the best? and would i really benifit from the extra stop on the F2.8,

I might have to wait a few months for the this lens as the cost might put my life on the line with the wife.:bonk:

thanks in advance again

would the sigma 24-60 F2.8 be any comparison on quality?

I hardly use anything else!

Oh, wait. I don't have another lens......

Hi it's a great len's in-fact it's so good when you select to manually set the AF say to the left it is as sharp as a pin on that side with a little OOF towards the center the great DOF towards the right, select the center point and bang on select all and bang on again it is so waffly versatile, it does exactly what it says on the tin,(or box) or instructions if you have the 5D len's kit one and you get a great pouch :) i use a 400D and it's made for the job full frame lens as well so you can upgrade?? with it, personally i am a fair weather photographer, so a 5D wou;d be all i ever up grade to, unless i go for the 1Dmrkll for AF on my 100-400 with 1.4 TC.

Regards Mark

I find the 24-105 a strange lens and felt the same about the 17-40. It's great, performs well but just doesn't make me think WOW when I use it. I think a lot of it is to do with how I work when shooting with a prime when I do get up and move around and look for the shot or if I can't move I look for a different shot with what I've got. Somehow when I'm using a zoom I tend to get lazy :(

I might get a wide prime sometime but I don't think I'd sell the 24-105 as is a great walkabout or for the times when you just don't know what you're going to have to deal with.

Next on the list is the 70-200 is L F4, or the F2.8

which do you concider the best? and would i really benifit from the extra stop on the F2.8,
Don't forget to also think about a 100-400 as your next option rather than just defaulting to the 70-200.
Obviously depends on what you are looking to do with it but the 100-400 gives a pretty versatile range and you could then add a prime for macro or portraiture.

24-105 looks to be a jack of all trades but master of none with wide range and f/4 , it wont have the wow factor as some of the other pretty glass, certainly wont be as sharp as L primes wide open... but looks like an excellent walkabout lens.

The whole argument of 24-70 and 70-200 2.8's versus the 24-105 and 100-400 f4 is one that provokes endless argument and fun on this forum. The truth of the matter as I see it is do you need the extra stop for dof or indoors work, or will the extra reach with a 2 lens set up be more advantageous?
The quality of both set ups is very good, as Bob says a prime will always be a tad better, but I feel I've a better chance of not missing a shot in general with zooms, although I do have 5 primes as well for specific shots and situations.
For what I do, which involves a lot of travelling, I have opted for the second option, and with the latest sensors able to give excellent results at higher ISO, the f4 isn't such of a drawback, but in the end it comes down to your own needs (forgetting for the moment the price of each set up!!)

That's my opinion, anyway!!

George

i'd always opt for the faster lens if given a choice within my budget. you can stop a f2.8 lens to f4 if you want to but you can't go the other way around. there's also the advantage of the lens being able to focus at f2.8 etc. etc.

I don't necessarily agree, see above.

sure george, you make some very good points, and i'm not trying to argue. i was just stating what i would look for in my choice. faster lenses suit my needs, it's horses for courses at the end of the day.

Yes, that's really the point I'm trying to make. It ends up being a decision based on an individual's needs. And why did you not attend our recent and very successful Scottish meet, I'd like to know!!:thinking::thinking:

unfortunately, i was at a work conference/training weekend in aviemore, otherwise i'd have been there..... the irony of it is that it's the only weekend i've had to work in about 11 years!

24-105 is my fav lens. It's on all the time as my walkabout/general lens.

My photocomp entry this month was taken with it.

Back