24-105mm IS... Where is the sweet spot?

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all

With regards to apature selection what is deemed the sweet spot of the 24-105mm lens.

I have done some test pics myself and when blown up and compaired... at 100% shooting at 50mm focal length I cant really tell any difference between f8 and f11.... I found the results to be similar at 24mm as well.

Does anyone have any thoughts... what have your test shots shown???

Is there a more scientific study been conducted and what are its results???

Just thought it would be nice to know for my own info!!!!

Stop looking for problems that aren't there?

Use the aperture that suits what you are shooting and don't worry about it. If you see sharpness problems then by all means experiment to find the cause but if you don't see anything wrong why worry.

Don't know how relevant this is today, but quite awhile ago a photographer of many years experience said
35mm F11 relates to digital full frame
6x6 F16 relates to ?
5x4 F22 relates to ?
so yes for your 5D F11 is probbly best in general.
Obviously if youneed more DOF stop down
Less open up
I think the above came from a Nikon website or book
Anyway they were supposed to be the "sweet spot"
Mind you on 5x4 I used F32 or F45 most of the time ! You would need to enlarge your pics on the computer to 300-500 % to see much difference though and that assumes a "good" and calibrated monitor.
Also take note of Roberts remark.
C

Hi there, there's a website which usually provides quite extensive testing for various lenses:

http://www.photozone.de/canon_eos_ff/420-canon_24105_4_5d

Have a look at the MTF charts, seems like your 'sweet spot' is between f/5.6 and f/8 but is variable according to focal length - and your depth of field will vary as well (so part of your image may be out of focus)

That's about as much as I can offer I'm afraid, I don't really do test shots :)

If you mean which is the aperture for best sharpness, almost all lenses peak between f/5.8 and f/8. The difference is mainly in the corners of the image, much less the centre. That's where you want to be doing your pixel peeping (if you must ;) ).

Also as a general rule, zooms tend to be sharpest at the short end, but that's far from all of them.

Stop looking for problems that aren't there?

Use the aperture that suits what you are shooting and don't worry about it. If you see sharpness problems then by all means experiment to find the cause but if you don't see anything wrong why worry.

Robert... I get the feeling you find my continual looking for solutions agrivating... My fiancee would agree with you... Im a civil engineer to trade and end up making a science of everything... I seriously take your coments on board though and will now shut up in the knowledge what I'm doing is fine... and just get on with it! Thanks for your wise words... sometime I need a blunt kick into touch... and told to stop being so Anal!

Hi there, there's a website which usually provides quite extensive testing for various lenses:

http://www.photozone.de/canon_eos_ff/420-canon_24105_4_5d

Have a look at the MTF charts, seems like your 'sweet spot' is between f/5.6 and f/8 but is variable according to focal length - and your depth of field will vary as well (so part of your image may be out of focus)

That's about as much as I can offer I'm afraid, I don't really do test shots :)

Thanks... I'll have a good look at that...

If you mean which is the aperture for best sharpness, almost all lenses peak between f/5.8 and f/8. The difference is mainly in the corners of the image, much less the centre. That's where you want to be doing your pixel peeping (if you must ;) ).

Also as a general rule, zooms tend to be sharpest at the short end, but that's far from all of them.

It really all is just a balancing act isn't it... I've never even thought of calibrating my monitor... in fact the one we have is just a basic flat screen HP one that came with the comp... Im thinking of getting an apple when that comp dies but not sure as never had one before... just like the look of them and I hear allot said about them on here regarding being better for picture editing!

I'll maybe start using f8 rather than f11... but then like you have all said... I really wont notince that much difference... my technique and shots at the moment are fine... and im pixel peeping too much which is not required... what is required is getting off my Ar$e and getting out for sunrise and sunset pics... and enjoy what I do rather than thinking about the science of it too much....

Don't beat yourself up. Pixel peeping isn't a crime, everybody does it sometime. Even a1ex2001 I'll bet ;)

The only thing wrong is when people have unrealistic expectations, or go looking for problems that have no relevance in actual picture taking. Like photographing brick walls, or those daft mega-close-up focus accuracy tests.

If you know where to look, you will find shortcomings with everything. And if you don't know what you're looking at, or why lenses behave the way they do, chances are you'll be disappointed. But on the other hand, if you do know something about it, it can be quite revealing, relevant, and interesting :)

Robert... I get the feeling you find my continual looking for solutions agrivating... My fiancee would agree with you... Im a civil engineer

Aggravating? No :)

Just know how easy it is to get caught up in looking for problems with kit. You can zoom in so far on screen you are bound to find 'problems' but the reality is they just don't matter to the picture quality.

I'd suggest you do not look into sensor dust or dead/hot pixels on the sensor ;)

Back