24-70L + 1DMkII AI Servo Issue

Edit My Images
Yes
This is a bit of an odd problem and I'm not sure if it's just my kit or a bigger issue so I'm looking for some opinions.

I was shooting at a friends wedding at the weekend (candids etc rather than the formals) and on a couple of occasions I stuck the body into AI Servo to catch the couple walking out of the ceremony and the confetti throwing. Shooting in either high or low speed continuous the focus seemed to jump out on alternate shots before coming back prior to shot 3, 5 etc.

Now I've shot plenty of action stuff with the 100-400 on the same body with no problems, it just seems to be a combination of AI Servo and the 24-70. Anyone got any suggestions?

Could this relate to using the shutter as both you exposure and shutter?

It sounds like it to me.

I used one of my N’s with a 24 -70 on Sat night with lots of movement. However, I have customer focus set at * button either CN 4-1 or 4-3 in the custom menu.

Try this, it should get rid of the problem of AI Servo missing ‘every other’ shot, which is exactly the problems I had before I extensively tested my first canon DSLR back in the day.

Your keep ratio should go up if you use this method.

Pete.

Ive just had a play with the same setup 1dmkII+24-70L, using highspeed continous i shot my dog running about and had several shots jump out of focus, it wasnt every other as yours was, and it appear to track and over-compensation for the movement every now and then, ive now switched CustomFunction 20 to setting 3 and it hasnt done it again...

I also use the method Diego has mentioned of having CF4-3, not for the reason mentioned, instead I find that it helps my grip of the camera having to firmly press the * button and thus reduces camera shake.

Ive just had a play with the same setup 1dmkII+24-70L, using highspeed continous i shot my dog running about and had several shots jump out of focus, it wasnt every other as yours was, and it appear to track and over-compensation for the movement every now and then, ive now switched CustomFunction 20 to setting 3 and it hasnt done it again...

I also use the method Diego has mentioned of having CF4-3, not for the reason mentioned, instead I find that it helps my grip of the camera having to firmly press the * button and thus reduces camera shake.

Just remind me what CN 20 does again please as I am away from my machines and cant check. Is that the AI servo speed??? (y)

Yus.. setting four is moderately fast. No idea if it actually makes any real differance, but during my quick testing it appeared to improve matters.

I use the 1dmk2n + 24-70 2.8 amongst others and have never had this problem, AIservo speed is always set to fast, I never change it.

Its good for me for walking pace, niece's & nephews playing, motor sport and surfing.

I use the 1dmk2n + 24-70 2.8 amongst others and have never had this problem, AIservo speed is always set to fast, I never change it.

Its good for me for walking pace, niece's & nephews playing, motor sport and surfing.

I though that this option was more to do with an object or person passing in front of the desired shot and not really to do with the actual 'speed' of AI servo?

I have an awesome Canon PDF if people wanna PM me with an email I can send it later.

Pete.

Yea

I think its a double edged thing

If you select -

slow - the tracking of the AI is slower so if an object passes between you and the object you are focusing on it may not regester it, as it updates the tracking info for focus slower. = slower update of focus info.

Fast - the tracking of the AI is faster so if an object passes between you and the object you are focusing on it may regester it where you wouldnt want it too, but it also updates the tracking info for focus faster. = faster update of focus info.

Thats how i understand it works. But I may be wrong.

Thanks for the ideas guys, will have a play with CF20 and see whether that makes a difference. I've tried the * to focus thing previously and didn't really get on with it, maybe I need to try again.

Back