2nd body question.

Name
PHILIP
Edit My Images
No
Guys I currently shoot at 2.8 on my 135L on my second body. I've been wondering is it more advisable to shoot with a smaller aperture to get a greater DOF, as most of the shots I get with this body are corners and general penalty box action where there are a lot of bodies and player isolation (background blur) is less of a requirement.

What you think?

if the light allows then i go f5.6 or even f8 or more on a sunny day ..I am using that same lens. for corners and the like theres no need for a thin dof as you rightly summise...

the f2 is perfect on that lens for the really darky nasty grounds i go to with broken floodlights... and or indoor sport :)

Yup stop it down as much as you can :) You can probably get away with a slower shutter speed too with it being a wider shot!

if the light allows then i go f5.6 or even f8 or more on a sunny day ..I am using that same lens. for corners and the like theres no need for a thin dof as you rightly summise...

the f2 is perfect on that lens for the really darky nasty grounds i go to with broken floodlights... and or indoor sport :)

Personally, I find myself very seldom using the lens for corners and when I do, it's not really a problem if I am using f/2.0...the player scoring a header will always stand out nicely.

I've also had great success with such a small DoF when there are celebrations, again it helps to get the subject really well separated from the background.

However, if you're after the "group shots" then by all means shrink the aperture to f/5.6 or smaller...each of us has our own preferences and shooting style really, so what works for me might not work for you!

Cheers for the input guys.

James what lens do you use for corners? I see your point that shooting at f2.0 will separate the player nicely, I suppose i'm worried of the small margin of error caused by the shallow DOF.

At the weekend I got a great shot of a far post header hitting the post, but had to bin it as I had focused on the player behind. Had I shot at say f5.6 or higher I probably would've had a good keeper there :bang:

Cheers for the input guys.

James what lens do you use for corners? I see your point that shooting at f2.0 will separate the player nicely, I suppose i'm worried of the small margin of error caused by the shallow DOF.

At the weekend I got a great shot of a far post header hitting the post, but had to bin it as I had focused on the player behind. Had I shot at say f5.6 or higher I probably would've had a good keeper there :bang:

I'm using the 135 as well...thankfully it's spot on with my mkII (it's one of the only things causing me to keep the mkII actually - I'm scared of using the mkIII with it). I think the issue to remember is that sometimes you have to bin a shot even if it was the best ever! No fiddling with settings or different apertures can solve that. It can minimise the effect of DoF, but it still won't be "right".

Sometimes you have to :shrug: and move on.

the thing with a corner is that everything changes in a moment.. the chances of getting the right guy at f2 is slim.. with other fnumbers you have more chance of getting the goal scorer in focus..

each to his own i suppose :)

Back