2nd curtain sync with a Canon 40D & 430EX

I may be wrong here as I don't have the 430 but I believe it is the flash that controls the sync and therefore you'd have to select 2nd curtain on the flash and not the body.
The built-in flash is obviously camera controlled and hence would be selectable on the body.

Sorry if I've mis-understood....

Bob

Is it not in the custom functions on the camera?, it is on my 5D and was on my 1D and 350D models

Scott

Just set it on the Flash, it is easy (I've not got my flash here, but it puts something like this >>> onto the LCD). I think to do it in camera is a custom function...

Yes thats what i was going to say... three arrows together

I turn 2nd curtain off as it gives me lots of blinkers at weddings... and 1st curtain doesnt.

2nd probably good for racing cars etc though (y)

Thanks to all for comments so far.
I appreciate that the flash unit can be set to 2nd curtain sync. However, I am interested to know why it can’t be set via the camera menu, as it is possible on other Canons, even the 350D. Do I have a malfunction, or am I in need of a firmware update? It would be great if someone could take a look on their 40D with a 430EX and see if they have any joy.
Go to menu ‘Spanner with 2 dots’,
down to ‘Flash control’,
down to ‘External flash func. setting’.
The top 3 selections are greyed-out on my machine (second one down being the needed ‘Shutter sync’), with only the bottom 2 being active.
Many thanks if anyone can confirm success or failure with their 40D – 430EX combination.
Sam - D

Back