2x converters

Edit My Images
No
Are they any good or do they detract from the image quality alot?

They seem a good way of increasing lens lengths to me.

As long as the lens your using to begin with is good they're well worth buying

Are they any good or do they detract from the image quality alot?

They seem a good way of increasing lens lengths to me.

Well if you are desparate they are a good idea, I have three and the only time I thought of using one was to see if the Vivitar match multiplier was any good with the Vivitar 75-150 zoom, well 2X150=300mm so hand held would need about 1/500 sec....but you lose 2 stops and I found on an average UK summers day I couldn't use a fast shutter speed with it well stop down using 200asa.......for best results.
Oh btw the way I eventually used a tripod for the test and my viv at 150mm is not at it's best and a converter just makes things worse.

I'd be tempted to use a 1.4x - 1.7x (depending on what's available for your system).
The 2x will lose 2 stops of light compared to 1 with a 1.4x on a Canon for instance, and the image quality is better (or more precisely it doesn't degrade as much)

On the other hand it doesn't give you as much reach...

As with everything it depends on what you are photographing! If you are on a tripod taking a picture of a still animal that isn't going to move on a well lit day then it is different from taking a picture of a football match hand held on a grey sunday morning. Stick a 2 stop ND filter on your camera and wander round for a day or so :)

Back