3 from the garden

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
I have been messing around with my flash diffusers again :shake: as my current ones don't work very well above 3 X magnification.

ALL C&C always welcome

Camera: Canon EOS 5D Mark II
Lens:MP-65*mm
Aperture: F14
Exposure time: 1/200"
ISO speed rating: 200/24°
Program: Manual
Metering Mode: Spot
White Balance: Auto
Flash: MT24-EX :

Click images for larger version

1 - hoverfly just about to launch - taken with new diffusers.

2 - Orb Spider patiently waiting for lunch.

3 - Darkling beetle (same settings but F13)

Last edited:
Lighting and detail are excellent IMO, I'm not a macro photographer myself but I do like to look at good macro work..;)

I love the second shot - focus is spot on and it's a different angle than I've seen before.

Diffusers are working well, the last is a darkling beetle. Like the orb spider (y)

great detail (y) what is the orb spider on? a leaf of some kind

Great colour and detail in the hoverfly, but the lighting of the orb spider makes it the outstanding shot of the set for me.

I was playing with diffusers yesterday - nothing scientific, just randomly trying commercial diffusers, plastic from milk 'bottles' and other odds and ends.

What were your conclusions ?

I like the dark backgrounds of the first 2 and the detail of the hoverfly is superb. Sorry but dont like spiders too much and that one looks malevolent

Lighting and detail are excellent IMO, I'm not a macro photographer myself but I do like to look at good macro work..;)

Thankyou - (y)

I love the second shot - focus is spot on and it's a different angle than I've seen before.

Thankyou - (y)

Diffusers are working well, the last is a darkling beetle. Like the orb spider (y)

Thanks for the ID Alby

great detail (y) what is the orb spider on? a leaf of some kind

Its sat on a leaf of a African daisy - the othe leaves have closed up

Great colour and detail in the hoverfly, but the lighting of the orb spider makes it the outstanding shot of the set for me.

I was playing with diffusers yesterday - nothing scientific, just randomly trying commercial diffusers, plastic from milk 'bottles' and other odds and ends.

What were your conclusions ?

Hi these are working better at higher magnifications - i've gone from a Concave dish shape to Convex strip but need more testing :thinking:

I like the dark backgrounds of the first 2 and the detail of the hoverfly is superb. Sorry but dont like spiders too much and that one looks malevolent

Thanks (y)

I really like .1 and .2; they are beautiful and the detail you've managed to capture is spectacular. The orb spider is one of the best macro shots of a spider i have seen.

IMO .3 is slightly spoilt by the near antenna blur as if its too much of a clash with the sharpness of the rest of the beetle, but still a great shot.

Back