3 puffins and a shag

All very clean and sharp, the eye of the Shag is incredible.

great shots Tom :)... can i enquire what lens?

Nice captures - well done(y)

thanks for all your kind words,it was 300 2.8 + 1.4x paul,probably a bit much for those on nests which you could easily stand on!

Nice set Tom:clap:Like #3 the coming into land shot . but all very nice shots (y)

thanks for all your kind words,it was 300 2.8 + 1.4x paul,probably a bit much for those on nests which you could easily stand on!

Thanks Tom(y)

these have made me even more excited about my trip to the Farnes at the end of June :clap:

Will my 70-200 (with 1.4x converter) be enough?

A very nice set of images love the 3rd puffin shot

Regards

Richard

I personally wouldn't say it's perfect, but certainly still worth the trip. If you've not photographed puffins before then one thing you should be aware of is how small they are; they're smaller than most people who've never seen on in the flesh imagine. Which basically means you end up needing a longer lens than you might think despite the close proximity.

You can get some closer shots with the occasional puffin on Staple island with your setup. I personally think Inner Farne for puffins with a 70-200 + 1.4x + sensor crop is still too shot to get near to filling the frame (the best location for puffins on that island, in my experience, is a 400 + 2x + sensor crop shot).

Your setup should however let you get some decent puffin flight pictures on both islands, and is ideal for the terns on Inner Farne. You could probably take the converter off for that.

You don't need anything long at all for the shag on Staple island; if anything you can get some stunning wide angle stuff if they nest in the right locations.

Oh dear. I don't have a 400mm or 2x - maybe time to check out lens rental costs! :|

Oh dear. I don't have a 400mm or 2x - maybe time to check out lens rental costs! :|

Like I said, it's still well worth the trip with a 70-200 + 1.4 + crop sensor. Particularly if you're only using the images for web use, you can recrop in post as well.

Puffins in flight on Staple you can get, a bit like the ones on this thread. You should be able to get some decent portraits as well; look for the area of the island near the wall of guillemots, occasionally puffins will come quite near (although I haven't been this year yet).

Good luck!

Back