300 f4L plus X2 extender - sharp

Name
Douglas
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

I thought I'd give my new 300 f4L a go with an X2 extender bolted onto the rear.

Light wasn't very good, so I pushed the ISO up to 800, which was giving me a shutter speed of between 1/250 and 1/400.... far too slow really.

I wasn't expecting anything brilliant, but as I said, I wanted to see what happened. I was truly surprised!!:D

zz600goldie1.jpg

zzz600spuggie.jpg

I'm liking those (y)

I'm thinking about this lens as an option to get a bit more length over my 70-200

Without going too far off topic, does anyone know if the sigma 1.4ex extender will fit on this lens?

I'm liking those (y)

I'm thinking about this lens as an option to get a bit more length over my 70-200

Without going too far off topic, does anyone know if the sigma 1.4ex extender will fit on this lens?

I can't think of any reason why it shouldn't work, it works with the Sigma EF mount.

You should read this though:

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4103

Both my Canon, and Kenko Pro extenders work well with this lens, and it even AF's correctly on the 20D with the 2X!!

Not bad at all Doug ... (y) ... not bad at all ... :D

Guess I gotta upgrade my poor old x1.4 now then ... :shrug:

:p

thats an old thread, but there have been any mods to the 300 rear elements or the front face of the 1.4 since the ex version appeared it should be OK

:)

V-E-R-Y nice Doug. Oddly enough I was looking into the spec on this lens earlier on - no way I can stretch the the super-duper f2.8 version but, come the winter months, this might just about be within my reach.

(y)

enjoy it doug i have that lens now ...
but i only have a 1.4 x to go on it as you know:naughty:
im very happy with all results from this lens ..(y)

Crisp and clear, with nice light, a bit of BG noise which could be easily cleaned up.
I'm impressed :)

Back