30d V 40d

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi Guys

Ive got a dilema at moment and was hoping you guys could advise me along the right lines.

Its as it says above really, i could get a 30D now with the funds i have but could afford the 40D in a month or 2 so was woundering what you guys thought about the way to go.
If it was you then what would you go with.

Also would you go bodys only and source glass or go with the kit lens especially the IS lens that now comes with the 40D

rgds
paul

In an ideal world I'd get the 40D - the improvements are very worthwhile as a first purchase... more debatable perhaps if you already own a 30D, but the 40D is a very well spec'd camera for the money without a doubt - and source the glass you want.

Depending on how long it takes you to raise the wonga though - you could be off and shooting with a 30D so it's your call really. :)

If you'd been asking 20D -> 40D the answer would be 40D. No doubts.

The 40D has better AF, more mega pix, 6.5 pix/sec and live view. If you can live without that and want to spend less then get the 30D

Me .. I'd save.

The 40D is worth the extra cash, save up and get that.

I assume you mean the 17-85 IS lens that comes as a bundle? I'm not a great fan of that lens and would go body only and source a better lens.

Wait and get the 40D - otherwise you'll only be wondering 'what if...'

The kit lens 18-55 IS or 17-85 IS are both ok but Ok for the cost.

I'm still using my 18-55 non IS kit lens as a walk about but realise it needs replacing for something better. It still gives OK shots though.

The 18-55 IS is about £150, the 17-85 IS about £350. You'd need approx £600 to replace them with something better? so if the budget is stretched you may be ok to start with these.

Depends what you fancy photographing I suppose.

40D is a far superior body to the 30D, which was basically a revamped 20D. The logic 3, 6.5 fps etc is worth the wait. Ian Kerr (Kerso) had 40D's for £650 before Xmas, but with the cashback that made it £600 total.

I would get the 40d now but use a 0% card(to pay for it), and you will get 6-9 months to pay it off at 0% - just make sure you clear the balance

You can also get the 40D from Warehouse Express on either 9 or 12 months 0% finance.

Wait a couple of months if that's all it's going to be. Or do as CT says, if WEs price is right the 12 months interest free is a good deal, I bought my 30d that way, paid a decent deposit and the rest a couple of months later. (make sure you do pay it off in plenty of time though, the interest rate if you go over is something like 29% apr).

Back