30mm 1.4 or 50mm 1.4 on 50D?

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
Looking for a prime for the 50D i have and was hoping to get peoples opinions on the pros and cons of the 30mm 1.4 and 50mm 1.4.

I'm leaning to the 30mm 1.4 with it being a crop sensor but still not sure :shrug:

I had a Nikon 50mm 1.4 on my D300 and i personally felt it was'nt wide enough so i will get a 30mm for the 50D i now have.

Do you mean a 35mm 1.4?

mate uses 30mm f1.4 on his 40d and ive got 35 f2 on my fuji, both of us prefer the field of view for crop sensor. (plus his sigma whilst the weight of a child is very nice)

I have the 35 1.4 on my 40D and absolutely love it. I use it as my general purpose lens. Used to have the 50 1.8 and although loved that too, found it a little tight on the crop sensor.

I always found 50mm lenses to be too long on APS-C cameras, except for classic portrait. If I was you, I would go for something even wider than 35mm.

I'm always recommending manual focus lenses and I know they don't fit everyone's needs but, if you don't find a problem to use manual focus, the Zuiko 24mm f/2.0 is a killer lens. Mounting it on a 50D, you'll get the equivalent of a 38.4mm on a full-frame camera, which is close to the best focal distance for general use (35mm).

This little Zuiko is much better than the Canon 24mm f/1.4 L (MK1) in the corners and I found it to be as sharp as the Zeiss and Leica lenses I used to have.

Considering the options you mentioned, i would go for the 30mm f/1.4, since it's wider.
The Canon 50mm f/1.4 is a very good lens, but it's not excellent for a 50mm.

Looks like i was right and the 30mm is the way to go.

Just need to find one at a decent price now :LOL:

I have both and love the canon lens
however, for general bits and pieces...family parties etc, the 30mm on a cropped sensor comes out to about 50mm which is perfect. nice and crisp too

I have a Sigma 30mm f/1.4 on a 40D. If you want f/1.4, knife thin depth of field and a good walkabout focal length, this is a very nice lens :)

I would second 30/1.4. I believe it is better wide open than canon 50mm but not so if compared with sigma 50/1.4. another problem - 30/1.4 is only for cropped sensors! buy it only if you get good deal on used one, so that you can sell it when going FF. I have one and like it very much but will have to start looking for a buyer soon.

Think I have had 5 50's now and keep finding them restrictive occasionally and prefer something wider

Back