350D strobist Flash

Edit My Images
No
Hiya guys after my last thread i was very pleased with the help i recived and wanted to ask you all a question.

What flash unit do you think i should get?

I have canon 350d and would like to start off with one flash that i can use on camera and off camera. As the 350d dosnt have a pc connection i would like to trigger it wireless with one of those cheap ebay kits.

Im willing to spend up to about £200 but i would prefer to spend around £150 on the flash unit

I have heared the 430ex has a few problems with the cheap ebay triggers or is this just rumor? please help me out here guys

many thanks danny

There do, as you say, seem to be some reported issues with the 430EX and the "ebay" triggers, however given the unreliability of the triggers themselves this may just be a coincidence.

Nikon flashguns are the weapons of choice amongst Strobists, even the Canon shooters, but obviously this would prevent you using the flash on-camera should you want to at some point, unless you taped up the ttl contacts.

An alternative is to get an off-camera cord/hotshoe and mount the flash on that. One of the Ebay copies of the Canon cord will probably set you back about £30.That way you could get a 430EX and use it both on and off camera without any compatibility issues :)

yes i noticed people love there nikon flashguns but i realy would want to use it on camera at some point and dont want to be let down by spending nearly £200 and not be able to do this.

I might get a 430ex and try the trigger if that fails get the cord.

Is there alternative to the 430ex that any one knows off that is any good for strobist?

danny

also is it worth getting the 580ex instead? not the mark II. Can this flash be used as a master flash? to set other flashes off or would i still need to buy the wireless transmiter?

You could always get a new Vivitar 285HV (about £60, delivered), that will work with the ebay triggers and work on your 350D, but you'd be in manual mode on both occasions, but if you're planning to do Strobist stuff that shouldn't faze you ;)

yea i was just looking at that and its hell of a price isnt it! So i can use that on camera and off camera?

I could get one of those and have lots left over for my stands and other stuff!

what are these like are they well rated? or would i be better biting the bullet and getting a nikon sb24 or somthing like that and not using it on camera just off?

The 285HV is a well-regarded flash, if you do order one ask the seller to check it is working before shipping it though, my last one was DOA with a common fault an it's a pita having to send it back to HK.

The problem with something like an SB-24 is that even the newest ones are ancient and they'll still cost more than a 285HV

Good thing is with either of those flashes if you change your mind you'll probably get most if not all your money back shoving it up on Ebay again :LOL:

The 285HV is quite big mind you :LOL:

2575925173_2319a648b5.jpg

dlphotography, which did you end up buying? I have a 350d cant decide what to get :confused:

Back