350D vs 30D.40D?

Name
Jim
Edit My Images
Yes
OK, pleb question here. What will the 30D/40D give in terms of results that a 350D wont?:wacky:

I know lenses make loads of difference but am in the dark when it comes to body's.:bonk:

Also - I know this is a nightmare questions but is the Canon/Nikon thing just a matter of opinion (ie ford vs vauxhall) or does one have real advantages over the other??? (sorry about that one!)

I found it easier to use, faster in pretty much all aspects, but the biggest improvment to me was the wider range of iso stops. I've had both.

You've hit the nail on the head - no real difference between Nikon or Canon, its just preference really these days.

I have a 30D.. my friends have a 40D, and they did have a 300/350D. The 40D is much more chunky to hold than the 30D - it is uncomfortable for me in comparison to the 30D. I got a 30D cos they have lent me a 70-300 Zoom lens which wouldn't have fitted the Nikon... and I couldn't afford a 40D!

Regarding the Canon/Nikon thing - I suspect it is down to tribal loyalty rather than anything actually noticeable. People who shoot one system or the other tend to stick with it because of the investment in glass.

At the end of the day, the biggest factor in the quality of the phots you take is you - which is why all my phots are so bad :nuts:

Theres not much difference between Nikon & Canon, only the number of shooters willing to voice an opinion in the imediate seconds following a "which camera" request.
If you want a less one track opinion, ask about specific cameras, the more the merrier, or you just be drowned with Canon posts and feel as though there is no other option.

I'm thinking of upgrading later this year so thanks to jimihat for starting thid thread, I shall watch it with interest.

I'm thinking of upgrading later this year so thanks to jimihat for starting thid thread, I shall watch it with interest.

Wow, don't say I posted something which is actually useful to someone else - that's a first!

Thanks for comments for far guys.

To be a little more constructive:|, my boss has been having a bit of trouble with his flash, so he brought it and his camera in to work for me to have a look at, its a 400d with a sunpack flash, seemed to work fine to me and I managed to fathom out the menu system no problem, (I think menu systems are something you get used to, it certainly wasn't as irritating as I had been led to believe)
But it was an godawfull thing to hold, felt like a bridge camera ,toy like, plasticky, compared with a d70.
I had to hold it with fingertips, didn't fit in my hand, I don't have shovels for hands either:shrug:
Any improvement on build quality on a 30d/40d will be well worth the extra on its own regardless of performance.
You should hold and faff with as many different makes/models as you can cheekily get away with, d70 is really just a 3 year old consumer dslr but it is miles more substantial kit than a 400d.
I'd hope the 30d/40d would be similarly better put together.

>>You should hold and faff with as many different makes/models as you can cheekily get away with

Top Tip (y)

I only went Canon cos of the free glass my friend was offering. Otherwise I would have been playing for a lot longer before choosing a system :D

Play with as many camera bodies as possible and see which you like best.

Ben.

You might still have chosen Canon, even with a longer more varied faff, its nearly always a question of budget.

>>You might still have chosen Canon,

I don't deny it :D

>>its nearly always a question of budget.

Yes... unfortunately the christmas bonus comes but once a year :D

Leave aside the 30d for this debate and concentrate on the differences between the 350d and the 40d.

350d - no environmental sealing
40d - some environmental sealing that would give you confidence near the coast and in a light shower (sealed lens allowing of course)

350d - no spot metering
40d - spot metering

350d - 3 fps
40d - 6.5 fps

350d - 8 mp
40d - 10.1 mp

350d - digic II processor
40d - digic III

350d plastic
40d magnesium alloy

350d - 7 focal points
40d - 9 with cross type

350d - no live view
40d - live view

350d - no integrated cleaning
40d - integrated cleaning

350d - 1.8" lcd
40d - 3" lcd

350d - cheese
40d - chalk

your metaphor is good, but slightly erroneous - think Audi v BMW with the supercars being your digital backs etc.

Back