Beginner 35mm Camera help for beginner.

Edit My Images
Yes
Hello all,

A couple of years ago I inherited a number of cameras and camera equipment from my late father, these have sat in a cupboard not being used with my intention being to sell them at some point. Last weekend I went to Whitby Goth festival and was photographed by a number of people who gave me thier card then later sent me copies. Until this point I had forgotten just how good photos can be having only taken photos with a phone. I started to catologue what I have with the intention of selling the equipment then trying to get a used DSLR then after having a play with the cameras have decided to give them a go first then if I don't get the bug I can just sell them anyway. I have lots of questions but to start with will just ask a couple do the cameras need batteries and what are the different lenses for plus is the a type of film which would be best or do I just go for general 35mm film.The equipment I have is as follows Jenaflex AMI electronic , Practica b100 and a zenith TTL then a number of 35mm point and press (a bit of a waste of time as I also have a number of point and press digital Cameras) then I have 3 flash units a sunpak auto 140/Starblitz 200a quick and a Jenazoom auto 3600, two light meters ,then a number of lenses a Prakticar 28/135mc a Prakticar 2.8/28 and a sirius zoom lens Plus other filters and X2 macro lenses and original camera lenses in boxes.
Any help would be appreciated.

Brad

Some are totally manual, some require batteries, the type of battery will vary. Honestly without inspecting each of them individually it is very difficult to advise.

I've just done a Google search on the cameras. The Jenaflex AMI appears to be a rebadged Practica BC1 (manual here) and needs a battery to work at all; I think that the same applies to the Practica B100, although from what you said I doubt you'd want to use it anyway, as the only option it offers you seems to be to set the aperture and it sets the speed for you. The Zenith will only need a battery to work the meter, so you can use it without a battery.

On film, apart from lesser matters like brand and sensitivity, you have to first decide whether you want black and white, colour negative (means prints) or colour slide (means you need a projector). Deciding that will reduce the choice. I'd say make that choice and then pick a film with an ISO of around 100; most would probably say ISO 400.

The different lenses have different focal lengths, which translates to bigger (or smaller) images of things. A short focal length produces a smaller image (and hence you get more in, and hence the name wide angle); longer does the reverse.

Well I have the BC1 (as new looking) and it's quite a nice camera, but IMO is not Nikon quality on the mechanical side as sometimes it jams winding on, but have found a way of clearing it by connecting the auto winder.......so for me it's a camera I can't trust but thousands of other camera users could have no problem.

Many folk here use 24-shot Agfa Vista 200 from Poundland as test rolls. It'll give OK results. I wouldn't spend much more on film unless you've convinced yourself that the cameras work and that you want to carry on using film.. which you will, of course! ;)

The Practicas aren't the most wonderful of cameras, but many folk started with them. Since a camera is merely a light tight box with film at one end and a lens and shutter at the other, you can probably get pretty good results from them. Sounds like you have a selection of useful lenses.

Back