35mm Canon Glass on Digital Body.. Will they Work

Edit My Images
Yes
Could someone answer this question please.... (As I do not know the answer..)

A friend of mine Has a Canon EOS 600 and quite a few lenses and is thinking of upgrading to digital.

Am I right in thinking if he purchases a full frame camera he will be able to use his existing lenses, I do not know what the lenses are but he has informed me they are all Canon lenses and originally the Kit cost him in excess of 3.5k.

Could some one give me a sanity check please...

Nigel

He should be OK to use the lenses which are EF mount, but AF will be slow with these early version AF lenses compared to more modern versions. He can obviously focus manually too.

CLICKY

Yes he can, some of those early Canon lenses are belters and way better than the later cost reduced ones. My 70-210 usm is a prime example, cracking glass and build replaced by an inferior lens. I also had a 600 back in the day, nice camera and very well made. He won't regret upgrading to say a 5D which is excellent value.

You can even use some of the older mounts [FD?] with adaptors at the cost of metering and AF. I considered this when looking for a dSLR and decided the glass I had wasn't worth sticking with Pentax and switched fully to Canon.

yes, FD lenses are given away on Ebay, extension tubes and the like can be useful.

If his camera is an EOS then the mount will be EF and all his lenses will work on any current Canon DSLR. Simple as that.

Yes you can use Full Frame EF lenses on any Canon EOS body digital or otherwise.

I don't think it's possible the other way round i.e use the Digital EF-S lenses on an EOS Full Frame (e.g 35mm) body as the back of the lens moves in to the mirror movement zone and breaks it. :eek:

Go Nikon then you don't have to worry about this all Nikon lenses post 1950ish mount OK :D (you do loose metering on some bodies, but not all)

Back