35mm Film for Portraits

I've always been a fan of Ilford Delta 100 but FP4 also has many supporters

Cheers mate i will pick both up tomorrow and give tham a try.(y)

Ilford Pan F used to be my choice - very fine grain film capable of producing high quality large prints, but only 50 ISO, although that shouldn't be a problem in a studio environment. If you're doing your own processing, then if you develop in Acutol it gives a half stop increase in film speed - you can rate it at 75 ISO.

Ilford Pan F used to be my choice - very fine grain film capable of producing high quality large prints, but only 50 ISO, although that shouldn't be a problem in a studio environment. If you're doing your own processing, then if you develop in Acutol it gives a half stop increase in film speed - you can rate it at 75 ISO.

I am going for a interview tomoz for a photography course at a collage and while i am there i will be picking up about 10 to 15 rolls of B&W film so i will get some pan F as well.

I used to develope and print my own stuff some years ago but now i can use the collage gear.

Cheers CT

You really wont go wrong with any of the films suggested here... enjoy! (y)

Neopan ACROS 100 is where it's at, this stuff can handle a lot of abuse and still produce beautiful tone and sharpness.

Best Film: Kodak Professional New T-MAX 400
' The latest version of Kodak’s famous black & white emulsion proves that film still has much to offer photographers. The changes are subtle rather than spectacular, but the improvements in sensitivity and sharpness are clear. This ISO 400 film thanks to its fine-grain structure can easily compete with much slower, ISO 100 films. This makes the new T-Max 400 a truly versatile all-rounder. Its ISO speed is fast enough for quick-fire reportage work in low light, yet its fine-grain emulsion yields the detail required by landscapers. An excellent film that will be enjoyed by monochrome devotees across the board. '

Go to http://www.tipa.com
for info on all the awards

Cheers, (y)

There is nothing to say you can't have grain in a portrait shot - Sometimes for a really 'gritty' feel a fast B&W film is just the job. Depends on the subject though...

However, in general I'd agree that something like Ilford Delta 100 or FP4 (ISO125) would be ideal.

I really like Ilford Delta Pro... All three varieties are suitable for portrait usage depending on what, when, and where.

100 gives least grain, 400 being still very fine grained, and 3200 being only slightly more grainy, as all three have big latitudes of usage you can use them above or below their recommended speed and push/pull and still get the same quality.

I've just ordered 2 rolls of Ilford Delta 400 - hopefully get some good results from it!

Pan F and FP4 would be my choice,
gwh

I've just been given 6 rolls of PanF 50 :)

Going to pop a roll in the camera and give it a blast this evening...

I did this one on HP5. To be honest it's the first roll of film I've got out of the mamiya that I have not cocked right up!

Untitled-Scanned-03.jpg

I'm going to be trying some different films in the next few months so thanks for the info peeps :)

Just bought 3 rolls of delta 100, Now going upto Sutton in Ashfield to take some photographs of a model and i will let you know how i get on. going to need a scanner

I have seen a canon scanner 300dpi for A4 at £130 on the net. good or bad??

300 dpi is bad... top resolution should be several thousand dpi, especially dealing with a 36 by 24 mm neg...

Considering that 35mm neg is 875mm^2, 1 inch is 600.25mm^2 so 35mm is 1.45 inches square... at 90,000 pixels per square inch, thats 130,500 pixels or 0.1305 megapixels.

I have shot two rolls of film this week, one is HP5 and the other is Ilford Delta 100 i am going to get the rolls developed some time this week or at the weekend.

I will be looking at getting them scanned and placed on TP but a slight problem in that i don't have a scanner, so i may need some help of someone in doing so.

Watch this space.......Paul Tomo

You should be able to pick up one of these for around 130 quid or less. Great scanner for the dosh!

CLICK

You should be able to pick up one of these for around 130 quid or less. Great scanner for the dosh!

CLICK

Thanks CT, just had a look at the scanner and when i get home tonight i will see where i can pick one up from.(y)

If you have a local PC World they had them in there a couple of weeks ago. Probably not the cheapest though - the 'net is probably your best bet.

For great skin tones I used to use Ilfords XP1 overexposed by a stop. Get the film processed only and then print from the negatives or get them scanned. Suspect XP2 will be very similar.

For great skin tones I used to use Ilfords XP1 overexposed by a stop. Get the film processed only and then print from the negatives or get them scanned. Suspect XP2 will be very similar.

Thanks for the info on the B&W film, keep it coming with the information on what type of B&W film you are useing and i could do with seeing some of the pics as well.

When i get this new scanner i will load in some of my pics to show you(y)

Back