35mm Films with vibrant colours.

Vic

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys,

I am looking for some film that I can get some saturation from. Is there any that you can reccomend?

Sort of stuff like Stephen Shore's work Linky

Any help would be appreciated!:)

erm well you could use say Kodak gold film and add saturation with Photoshop or similar programs.

Am I right in thinking that Velvia has really saturated colours. I could well be wrong, I'm only a learner.:help:

Andy

For Slide/Transparency:

Velvia 50, 100, 100f (in descending order of saturation)

Kodak Ektachrome E-100VS or Kodak Elite Chrome 100 Extra Colour

For Print:

Kodak Ektar or Kodak Portra 160VC or Portra 400VC (going out in favour of new Portra 400 which has a balance of saturation between the NC and VC versions, but can easily be boosted during scanning

Last edited:
Velvia or maybe Kodak Professional Elite Chrome Extra Color 100. Velvia's especially strong on the blues/greens, Kodak's a bit more balanced but still powerful. Both being slide are a bit less forgiving with the exposures than C41 stock, but when you get it right they're stunning.

Ektar gives the best colour saturation you will find in any print film, failing that any film and lots of PP is Photoshop.
Couple of examples I provided for AG http://www.ag-photographic.co.uk/kodak-ektar-35mm-36-327-p.asp (put your sunglasses on ;))

Velvia underexposed about a 1/3stop will give you lots of saturation as well.
I find the Kodak VC doesn't give me the saturation I need.

Here's some Velvia 50 about 1/3 of stop under exposed. I find if i get the exposure right this film is stunning, I had more success with this than 100F

5300094912_d7689c9948_z.jpg

100F I found this went a bit mad with green.

5299517123_da3c672273_z.jpg

Ektar 100, Can be quite lazy and still achieve excellent results with it, I've shot a whole roll at 400 ISO before and it looked fine!

5299481597_acc2c7a35f_z.jpg

All three of these have very minimal grain, Ektar is the most "digital" "clean" looking of the three.

Last edited:
I wouldn't shoot portraits with velvia as it makes skin look hideous compared to portra, provia is quite nice. But any slide film is going to give you nice bright colours.

All though I've not tried it, apparently you can use Velvia 100 for portraits with alright results but not as good as Provia, as long as its a low contrast situation and you overexpose slightly. O.K so it reduces saturation a bit but at least it won't look like the person is sunburnt!

Thanks guys, this is great! (y)

Think I'll get a few this week, want to try some on Sunday.

Back