35mm negative scanner - advice please

Name
Bill
Edit My Images
No
Evening, I'm looking to get a 35mm negative scanner to start going through all my old film

Reading the reports on the internet the Plustek 8100 seems to be well regarded and good value for money

Any advice that you can give will be much appreciated

Thanks

Last edited:
I bought one last month and it's excellent. Takes a day or so to get to grips with the software and using the multi-exposure mode is a must (which doubles the scan time), but I'm really happy with it.
It's not even necessary to scan at the highest resolution for most applications...
Scanning at 36k gives you an 18mb file which is fine for A4 prints: I downsize those to about 800kb for web-use in Lightroom anyway.

Last edited:
I find the Plustek 8100 to be excellent but I do not use the supplied software. I use Vuescan which means I have just the one software package to learn for both 35mm and 120 scanners.

I also use the Plustek and once you've set up the Silverfast software to scan one, it's a simple and quick job to do the rest. Delivers excellent quality for 35mm that will print up to A3 and A2 in a pinch. For internet sharing it's absolutely fine.

If you can stretch to a 8200i you'd also get an infra-red channel which auto-magically removes dust and scratches from C41 and E6 (but not B&W) frames.

I have a 7500i and after 8 years that function doesn't work properly. I find I can get by without it for current work, since I seem to have dust fairly well under control in my dev workflow. But when I get back to retro-scanning I'm gonna regret it!

I've never got on with the Plustek for some reason. Happy to accept that's I'm doing it wrong.

I found using the Fuji XT3 and Macro lens to be more that acceptable.

That's why I have my plustek up for sale

:exit:

I'm going to try the Nikon Film Digitising Adapter ES-2 with the 60mm Micro Nikon and D850 and see how it goes

I've never got on with the Plustek for some reason. Happy to accept that's I'm doing it wrong.

I found using the Fuji XT3 and Macro lens to be more that acceptable.

That's why I have my plustek up for sale

:exit:
What films are you trying to scan? I found some play better than others...

Mainly HP5, I just thought the result weren't that good.

Last edited:
If you can stretch to a 8200i you'd also get an infra-red channel which auto-magically removes dust and scratches from C41 and E6 (but not B&W) frames.

I have a 7500i and after 8 years that function doesn't work properly. I find I can get by without it for current work, since I seem to have dust fairly well under control in my dev workflow. But when I get back to retro-scanning I'm gonna regret it!

This is the dilemma I'm debating at the moment too - is the dust and scratch removal going to be worth the extra £££ to me...

If you've looked after your negs / slides, and dust them immediately before scanning, it's feasible to clone / heal dust & scratches in Photoshop. But there's a time hit, of course. The balance is personal.

And I'm assuming A4 / A3 enlargements - for 6" x 4"s it hardly matters.

I use a now ancient Minolta scan dual2. it still works just fine using vuescan as the driver.
there are quite a few of all the Minolta scanners that come up on ebay.

This is the dilemma I'm debating at the moment too - is the dust and scratch removal going to be worth the extra £££ to me...
I read a couple of reviews which said it wasn't that effective anyway, especially on certain films. I decided I'd save the money.
I've found some film attracts more dust than others. All my XP-2 seems to require more work spotting-out, possibly because it went through a regular colour processor, whereas 'regular' B&W films which were either hand processed or done in a Jobo are relatively dust free...

Back