3d printed 135 panoramic on Kickstarter

Love this idea, but the only issue I see is that he will release to the backers first, then to the rest of the world a few weeks later!

Would it not have attracted more interest if it were only released to the backers?

Love this idea, but the only issue I see is that he will release to the backers first, then to the rest of the world a few weeks later!

Would it not have attracted more interest if it were only released to the backers?

I thought that at first too but the more I think about it, I think he's just worded the campaign a little confusingly. His campaign says that he wants to move towards more development than production himself, including selling build files for self-builders. I 'think' that when he says he will release the STL files to the public in March, they will still be sold (not given away) but those backing the Kickstarter campaign will be getting them first.

I 'think' that when he says he will release the STL files to the public in March, they will still be sold (not given away) but those backing the Kickstarter campaign will be getting them first.

I actually thought the intent was to give it away. Ethan comes across as a nice guy (when I've heard him on podcasts anyway) and he was super helpful when I had queries about the OG so a giveaway would be in character.. To be fair, he's after $12,000 and the standard backer requirement is $1 for the files. If 10,000 people sign up to this (assuming the rest do $50+ rewards), that's probably the majority of all film photographers - let alone poeple who would be motivated to actually make it!

I've bunged him a fiver. Doubt I'll ever print it, but you never know! 2D printing is enough of a challenge for me :)

I thought that at first too but the more I think about it, I think he's just worded the campaign a little confusingly. His campaign says that he wants to move towards more development than production himself, including selling build files for self-builders. I 'think' that when he says he will release the STL files to the public in March, they will still be sold (not given away) but those backing the Kickstarter campaign will be getting them first.

Makes sense! I thought he was giving them away as he talks about 'open source' which is usually a collaborative and free.

I actually thought the intent was to give it away. Ethan comes across as a nice guy (when I've heard him on podcasts anyway) and he was super helpful when I had queries about the OG so a giveaway would be in character.. To be fair, he's after $12,000 and the standard backer requirement is $1 for the files. If 10,000 people sign up to this (assuming the rest do $50+ rewards), that's probably the majority of all film photographers - let alone poeple who would be motivated to actually make it!

I've bunged him a fiver. Doubt I'll ever print it, but you never know! 2D printing is enough of a challenge for me :)
Makes sense! I thought he was giving them away as he talks about 'open source' which is usually a collaborative and free.

It's this paragraph near the end that makes me think he's only going to open source his files if he receives enough funding to replace the income he would make from manufacturing the cameras himself (which is a fair requirement!);

"If this kickstarter raises $100,000 or more

I will release the files and videos for both of the above cameras, and make a monthly vlog about the projects happening in the CAMERADACTYL workshop, and make everything I design in 2020, free, and available to the public. This would allow me to work on open source projects for a long time. Things like film and paper processors made from 3D printer parts and 3D printed parts, and more complicated mechanical cameras."

Back