3rd party inks

Name
garry
Edit My Images
Yes
i am using a canon ip4700,and was wondering if anybody used this with 3rd party inks and paper,if so could you tell what the results were like,also the make.of ink and paper, i would be printing general photos and portraits on a4,thanks in advance.

Have used third party ink from Prink http://www.prink.co.uk/canon-pixma-ip4600-ink-cartridges.php in my 4600 (think the 4700 uses the same catridges) for the last year and been very pleased with it
Before that used ink from the same company on an Epson C64 and the prints from that still look good a few years later

All come chipped and never had an issue with blockages, fading or unusual colouration

Just too expensive using the real thing and anything I wanted done that well would probably be on A3 so would have to get it done commercially anyway

Must admit to buying decent paper though, mostly Fuji, but some Canon stuff too

Last edited:
thanks for the reply rich,like you say the real stuff is to expensive,just had a look and i can buy a set for the price of 1 genuine one.

Last edited:
Give it a go and see what you think Garry, seems fine to me and that company have always delivered quickly too.

I know many people including the manufacturers insist on only using the genuine stuff, but they must be wealthier than I am.

Never tried the cheaper paper though, but not such a big difference in price, bought my last pack of Fuji A4 in Smiths with 60% off, so can't complain too much

I've only ever once used a compatible cart in my canon printers and that was once too many. Yes, it was compatible - it fitted but the colour was off from the start and faded faster than you can say "accelerated testing". It didn't stay in the printer long enough to cause nozzle blockage.

I now use only Canon originals, bought from 7day or Tesco when they have the multipacks (CLI8) at the right price. Paper isn't so much of an issue - I use a selection, mainly Ilford Galerie smooth Gloss but also Canon Smooth Glossy and Lidl's own brand. I've got prints on the Ilford that are 7+ years old (behind glass) and show no sign of fading. Those on the Lidl paper are younger but still good in terms of fading.

Has anyone used these for the Epson R1800? i have used Inkredibles compatible cartridges and wasted my time. If these are any good i might give them a shot

I once used a compatible cart in an epson, it blocked the nozzles.
I have put compatibles in my 3+ year old canon, and the colour has now turned pink.
I have had no qualms using non-canon/epson papers though.
Fuji/Kodak/HP (even tescos) all appear Ok.

Back