4 all that don't know

• Thread starter Deleted member 3428
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 3428

Ladybirds are:
Yellow

I'm sure there must be more variants too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great Set as usual Alby (y)
That last one sure looks like a Harlequin to me though ?

The harlequin, originally from Asia, was used as a bio-control agent to eat insects and stop them destroying crops.

But ladybird expert Dr Mike Majerus said: "In North America and north-western continental Europe, it's simply out-competing the native ladybirds.

"It eats all their food and if it runs out of the food it then starts to actually eat other species of ladybird - the larvae, the eggs, the pupae."

HOW TO SPOT A HARLEQUIN

Tends to be rounder in shape than most native UK species
Can reach up to 8mm in size, a little larger than common ladybirds
It has a white plate just behind the head with a big, black M-shaped marking on it
Sighted bugs can be red, orange or black with between 15 and 20 spots
Others may be black with between two to four orange or red spots

He said about half of the UK's 46 ladybird species were "really under threat".

Wow, wow, wow and wow!
I hope to be as good as you one day Alby, your macro insect photography is superb, you must be one of the top macro insect photographers in the country. Just superb and a pleasure to view, also interesting to get a closer look at these little beaties. Ive been out trying my hand at insect photography a little lately but have not come across a single ladybird yet.

Show Off :p

Great pictures but still looking for the yellow ones :)

Thanks everybody for all your comments, always very much appreciated. ;)
Chris you are right it is an invader looking very much like our pine ladybird. ;)

Nice shots, Alby. That MP-E 65 is some lens (and being a good photographer helps too :D).

I think the last two are both Harlequins. About 80% of ladybirds I see around here this year are Harlequins, a rather worrying trend.

You are right Mike, they are taking over for sure. ;)

Back