4 dumb questions about shooting film

MindofMel

Suspended / Banned
Name
Mel
Edit My Images
Yes
I have plagued this film forum for the past 48 hours and I am sorry; so many considerations and im a young'un so im digital head. Almost there before I leave you all alone and actually post pics.

1) on my Nikon F301 - i have a DX film setting - what is this? does it mean i can use DX lenses?

2) what do i ask the sales guys in jessops / snappy snaps for when getting it developed. I do not want prints - I want the pics on CD and them at a big resolution. i.e enough to be a background wallpaper on a 27" imac? is their lingo for this

3) whats the best place to buy film.... (fuji, 100/400/800 and ilford BW 400) online or otherwise... 3 rolls and im out of £18. this hobby is going to get expensive...

4) is their any classic NOOB mistakes you all have made that i can benefit from your misery and avoid making? :p

Don't worry, none of us ever go out any more, we just sit here ready to answer questions of you young'uns that have seen the light :D

DX is a coding on the film canister that tells your camera what the speed of the film is, you can over-ride this if you want to push or pull the film speed or if you end up loading your own cassettes from bulk film, but maybe that's something for the future.

Just tell Snappy Snaps etc that you want process and CD, I'm not sure what resolution they scan at, worth asking what the options are.

Cheapest place is 7dayshop not always the quickest but generally cheaper than the High Street. You could also check your local Poundland they usually bog standard Kodak colour print film for the surprise price of £1!

Finally. you're bound to make mistakes but just take your time and enjoy the journey (y)

Last edited:
To expand on RaglanSurf's excellent answers, I'd add:

2) Jessops don't tend to do terribly high resolution scans, or they didn't when I last used them. Not sure about Snappy Snaps though. I tend to send my film away for processing to Metrocolour Labs and get an 18mb scan (which works out to about 3000x2000 or so, about the same as a 6mp DSLR.

3) I tend to use 7dayshop as well, as they have a good range, and they're pretty cheap, but if you run out and need some film quick, try Boots, as they often do 3 for 2. Their range is limited, but they usually stock some C41 process Black and White like Ilford XP2 or Kodak BW400CN.

4) Avoid supermarkets for getting your film processed - they're cheap but are very inconsistent, and are also an excellent source of scratched negatives.

Also, don't fire away like with digital - you're paying for every frame!:eek:

Further expansion on film pricing... When you get into shooting film on a regular basis, keep your eyed open for 7dayshop and other companies special deals. They occasionally have special prices on short dated film. What I tend to do, is to buy up this film in 10 roll multiples, wrap them up and store them in the freezer. I've currently something like 80+ rolls of film stashed in 2 big tupperware boxes in the freezer - maybe half of which is technically out of date, but was frozen with maybe 6 months on the clock. You do need to be a little more organised, and get the film you think you'll need out of the freezer a couple of days before, and let them defrost in the 'fridge, but the cost savings make it worthwhile.

4) Follow the instructions about loading film to the letter, if possible from the original manuals (Google, they are around).

as for 2, don't bother with Jessops/Snappy Snaps. Send it off to be processed with these guys instead: http://www.photofilmprocessing.co.uk/35mmfilm.html

the excellent Fuji Processing service in Burnley. £5 for developing and 3000x2000 scans, and since I'm assuming you are a student if you include a photocopy of your student card, you get a 10% discount on top of that.

On the point of 3 - 7dayshop absolutely, but keep in mind - film isn't a cheap hobby. At all.

Mark, does that mean the film I have purchased today I need to store in the frigde? mow that i think about it the film i bought from Jessops was in a fridge!?

Unless you've already bought Out of date film, I think that you'll get through 3 rolls of film quickly enough that it's not really worth bothering with the 'fridge. I freeze mine, as for example, my last film purchase was 20 rolls of 100asa LegacyPro black and white film. Even at a roll a week, allowing for the ocasional foray into colour shooting, that's 5 months of storage in a home that's kept at comfortable temperatures for a 70+ year old bloke (my Dad, as with a lot of older people seems to be most comfortable at temperatures approaching the core of the sun!) So, I keep film in the freezer. Some film is recommended to keep refrigerated (Most of Fuji's "professional" stock iirc) where others are happy in storage at ambient. It should say on the box what's needed - for example - the empty velvia box on my desk says

PROTECT FROM HEAT AND X-RAY

STORE AT 15'C 59'F OR BELOW.

(my Dad, as with a lot of older people seems to be most comfortable at temperatures approaching the core of the sun!)

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

My Dad's 82 and it's 82 degrees in his house, I usually go and visit in shorts and a Hawaiin shirt :cool:

I'd have a look in your local pound stores for film, one of them in Huddersfield sells iso200 film for £1 lol, which comes out very well actually!
Every time I pop in for sugar or cig papers, I buy 2! Have a mini-fridge full of kodak 200. It's not bad (but not great) and for a fling at a 'new' 35mm, does the job. If nowt else it'll show u any light-seal probs. Better to know with super-cheap than waste a roll of good stuff :)

***film isn't a cheap hobby. At all****

erm depends how many shots you take per week ....and remember for an initial outlay of peanuts for gear you can get result equal/close to an expensive Digital camera that depreciates in value over time.

Last edited:
***film isn't a cheap hobby. At all****

erm depends how many shots you take per week ....and remember for an initial outlay of peanuts for gear you can get result equal/close to an expensive Digital camera that depreciates in value over time.

Close to? You mean Superior to! :D

Back