400+mm lens

jamie-dm

Edit My Images
No
Hi

I want a 400mmish lens can anyone recommend a good/cheap one.ive got a canon 350d 55-200mm sigma lens. Also would a converter be any use investing in (dont they reduce the quality) :shrug:

Thanks
Jamie

Got a definition of 'cheap' :)

Helps if you give a rough budget.

all you can get for that would be an old sigma 400mm f5.6. doubtful it would work on digital due to newer electrics but if you look out for a re-chipped one on ebay then thats your best bet. dont buy one if it hasnt been chipped as it wont work and sigma probably wont be able to chip it anymore because parts wont be available.

other than that option, a 70-300 is your longest choice.

Only other option might be an eos to whatever adaptor mount and an old manual lens. means manual focusing and aperture priority or manual but you may get some reasonable glass for not too much money.

Whatever you decide don't get some cheap plastic noname lens that you see on ebay as the quality will be poor and resale value low.

Thanks 4 your help. I think I was spoiled with 380mm on my Minolta Z1compact! I'll keep an eye on eBay. What do you think about an converter?

Thanks
Jamie

remember your 200mm lens on a 350d is the equivalent of 320mm on film so not far off the minolta's 380mm equiv. if you get a 70-300 you'll have a 480mm equiv :D

i'd steer clear of a converter unless you have very posh glass.

Back