400D or 10D - Need Help

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
No
Hello

I havent posted in a bit, sorry about that. But i need your expertise guys.

I have the chance to either buy a:

Canon 400D with that bundled lens package for £500
Been fiddling with it and nice camera but lens is poo.

or:

Canon 400D body only and buying lenses

or a:

Canon 10D with 2 sigma lenses (not sure) and a little focusing lens plus, flash gun for £450. (2nd Hand)

Not sure which to go for any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

How experienced a photographer are you? And what situations have you used the 400d kit lens in to make that decision about it?

the kit lenses isnt poo, its a very good wee lens for what its worth, it gets much maligned but if you learn the best situations to use it in u can get beautiful results, obviously not the same class as L series but its not as bad as people make out and its usually those who have never used it and just read what others have written that are too lazy to actually get to know the lens.

Fi

Hi,

The 10D is a nice camera. I used one before buying my 30D and found it a nice camera and it gave excellent results. What sigma lenses would you get with it? The lenses are a more important as the quality of the glass is a huge factor in getting sharp shots.

Like chenng says, what sort of pics are going to be taking....still, sport, portrait etc?

Yep I agree too many people are far too quick to Poo poo the 18-55 kit lens It has served me well (y)

Is it the 400D with just the 18-55mm? I'm assuming it must be another lens as you can get it for £400.

Yeah £500 is pretty pricey for a 400D + Kit lens.

They are going on eBay for £350 with a memory card...

I'd personally go for the 400D. Even though it's the seris below, the 10D is very old, released way back in 2002 - a good camera yes, but by todays standards you can get a 400D that will do more.

Oh and i'l agree with the others about the kit lens - it's fine for a starting lens. After all, you get what you pay for and the 18-55 is a very cheap lens. Nifty fifties are worth more.

It is the 18-55 lens

I tried it on a sport situation, for which I need the camera for.

I need the camera for Aviation photography.

Not too sure which sigma lenses they are but will find out.

If i bought the 400D body only what lenses would you recommend?

What type of aviation photography, static or flying? For static displays there is nothing wrong with the 18-55, other than maybe it not being quite wide enough. For aerial displays a much longer lens would be needed for any sort of decent picture. In your price range a basic telephoto like the Sigma 70-300 is probably the lens you want. You should be able to get the 400D+kit lens and Sigma 70-300 for around £500-£550 if you look around.

YOU'VE GOT TO LOOK ON EBAY!!
A 400D IS GOING FOR A CHEAP 350-POUNDS AND THAT HAS A FEW EXTRA BITS THROWN IN, LIKE AN S.D. CARD, ETC. I NEVER EVER BUY FROM SHOPS ;) LOL.
THEN YOU'D HAVE QUITE A BIT LEFTOVER FOR YET ANOTHER EBAY PURCHASE :D OF A NICE LENS.
AND IF SHOPPED CAREFULLY, EVEN ANOTHER ACCESSORY!
I'VE USED THE 400D, NICE PIECE, EASY TO USE AND GOOD FOR JUST ABOUT ALL PHOTOGRAPHERS.

I would personally avoid the 10D. As others have said it is particularly old now and as far as I can remember it is not compatible with Canon's EF-S range of lenses. I have owned the 10, 20 and 30D and think anything from the 20D up would be a better investment. As an alternative why dont you consider the Pentax K100D super which is at a great price in Jessops at the minute. The built in anti-camera shake function is a real bonus.
Alan

I wouldn't worry too much about a replacement for the 400D. It's going to cost an awful lot more when first released and the 400D is a very capable camera. I agree with others that the kit lens is all too often wrongly put down but having said that, I don't think it's the right lens for you. If sport and aviation are your passions you're going to need something with a bit more reach than the 55mm of the kit lens. The trouble here is that zooms of any quality aren't cheap and buying a cheapy will only leave you feeling let down and disillusioned IMHO. I don't know what your top budget is but I'd be looking at buying body only (£350) and then looking for a lens somewhere in the 70-300mm zoom range (Canon's own 70-300mm IS USM comes very well recommended but is around £375).

YOU'VE GOT TO LOOK ON EBAY!!
A 400D IS GOING FOR A CHEAP 350-POUNDS AND THAT HAS A FEW EXTRA BITS THROWN IN, LIKE AN S.D. CARD, ETC. I NEVER EVER BUY FROM SHOPS ;) LOL.
THEN YOU'D HAVE QUITE A BIT LEFTOVER FOR YET ANOTHER EBAY PURCHASE :D OF A NICE LENS.
AND IF SHOPPED CAREFULLY, EVEN ANOTHER ACCESSORY!
I'VE USED THE 400D, NICE PIECE, EASY TO USE AND GOOD FOR JUST ABOUT ALL PHOTOGRAPHERS.

Alex, do you really have to shout in that insipid colour first thing on a Sunday morning ;)

I wouldn't worry too much about a replacement for the 400D. It's going to cost an awful lot more when first released and the 400D is a very capable camera.

I currently have a 400D myself and I agree it is a fine camera.

I just wanted to point out that the 400D will soon be 'the old model'. Nothing worse that buying something only to find out it is replaced with something else within weeks and you didn't know about it.

I used to have the 10D too, i think if i had the choice now though i'd go for the 400D over the 10D now as again the 10D is old now and i think the only thing the 10D has over the 400d is the Mg Alloy body tbh.

18-55 kit lens will still be worth getting as part of a package deal, usually adds about £30 to £50

and yes for aviation/sports it will still be useful, a 300mm lens is great if an aircraft is 400ft away, but useless if you're walking around it just 10ft away, a cheap reasonably sharp & lightweight 18mm wide angle will come in handy. No use for distance but it'll make a good pit/paddock/service area and close in portrait or group shot lens for sports too.

18-55 kit lens will still be worth getting as part of a package deal, usually adds about £30 to £50
not so sure that this is a good thing to do as this lens can be brought for £25-30 on ebay(so why pay an extra £50 for it?).
I have used the 18-55 (used to own one) and first impessions is that the lens is poo - it looks cheap and feels cheap, but to be fair produced better results then first expected.(ok i would give it poo ++)
you could buy the camera and buy a canon 50mm 1.8 (a far nicer lens) for about £30 on ebay. With lenses i would always try to buy quality - even if you buy used rather then new -go for the best quality within your buget.

one other thing - i was in a shop yesterday and i saw a 400d - i had forgotten how small the camera is, it may be worth trying the camera for size and feel against a 20/30/40d, if you have large hands.

one other thing - i was in a shop yesterday and i saw a 400d - i had forgotten how small the camera is, it may be worth trying the camera for size and feel against a 20/30/40d, if you have large hands.

I would say this is one of the major key factors between the 400D and 10D (other than price of course) that often gets overlooked.

I started with the 350D (similar size to the 400D) and was disappointed how small it felt in my not-so-big hands. I ended up putting a grip onto it, more to increase the size, rather than allowing for a better hold in portrait orientation.

One of my key factors when I decided to upgrade to the 30D and now 40D is the size of the camera. To the OP, I would suggest a 400D over a 10D, but you might be surprised if you look around and possibly pick up a 20D or 30D for very similar money.

Like has been mentioned, the kit lens is a very capable lens. But like all things photographic, its how you use it that counts, not what you use.

not so sure that this is a good thing to do as this lens can be brought for £25-30 on ebay(so why pay an extra £50 for it?).

I think you will be very luck to get one for that I have been watching a few for someone and although they have low starting prices none have gone for less than £45-£50 recently

plus points for the 10d are far better build quality than the new canon cameras and (to me anyway) it's a bigger chassis and more comfy.

the plus points for the 400 are everything else. it's a much better performing bit of kit.

Back