400d or 20d

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all. I have a 400d at the moment but want to move up to the next level of cameras. I mainly take aviation and motorsport photos and was wondering if I would gain anything by getting a 20d. Im on a budget so a 30d is just a bit expensive.
Neil

Not in IQ, no, but in all other aspects yes! But then you do not play soccer with your camera ,do you?

When I got my camera it was just after the 400D had come out and the choice was between the 400D and the 20D, the price difference was about £10, so no an issue. I went and had a play with both and the 20D felt so much better in my hands and the controls were much easier to use.

At the start of this year one of my friends traded in his 400D to get a 20D he thought that was a really good move and was glad he did it (although he has now traded in the 20D for a 1D).

If you're round Northampton way and want to have a play with a 20D give me a shout...

I agree. Also... in the future you will probably be moving up to another camera and probably in the x0D range... so it makes sense to start there as each of the ranges has the same buttons/menu structure/ etc.

I lcd is smaller on the 20d but I still think having that second wheel on the back instead of having to push another button and keep it held while turnng the first wheel to move your aperture value is a no brainer! (y)

For ease of handling, build quality and feel good factort of the bigger body - go for it !

For ease of handling, build quality and feel good factort of the bigger body - go for it !

Yep... you cant beat the feelgood factor of a bigger body!!! :D :LOL:

Does your 20d come with a warranty, thats what put me off buying one, just if it broke you would be feeling pretty bad.

Agreed. My first DSLR was a 350D, which I upgraded to a 5D, and I now have a 20D as a second body - it feels so much more solid than the 350D ever did, and the wheel adjuster on the back (obviously shared by the 5D) is a much more intuitive way of altering settings than the 350D buttons were.

I agree. Also... in the future you will probably be moving up to another camera and probably in the x0D range... so it makes sense to start there as each of the ranges has the same buttons/menu structure/ etc.

The 20D and 30D are pretty much the same but the 40D is quite different in its menu structure...

Anyway, Morph, your aircraft pics are pretty damned good, I'd not bother with an upgrade to the 20D, save your money for a 40D when they crash in price after the 50D comes out (start of next year)

I agree with desantnik. I have just upgraded from the 400D to the 40D and think that was a good move. I was very pleased with my 400D and at the time did not even consider changing to a 30D let alone a 20D. Save your money and wait until you can get a 40D.

Thanks everyone. The problem I have is that we are having are 2nd baby in december (fingers crossed!!). So at the moment the only cash im allowed to spend is from the sale of the 400d. As for the future, I think getting a 40d is a while of yet. Thanks for the comment about my aviation photography Destanik, I do feel the 400d is a bit small and wondered if my panning maybe a bit better with something bigger. I think i'll go for it and get a 20d (or maybe 30d if the wife lets me have a bit more pocket money!!!) Now all I have to do is sell the 400.
Regards Neil

If you want "physically bigger" on the cheap, get the battery grip... I had it both on my 350D and now my 30D. Makes a big difference IMHO.

Good luck with the baby and keep those aircraft shots coming!

Back