400D or 20D

I have a 20D and Kiasmum a 350D (I know you're asking about the 400D, but bear with me). From an IQ perspective, not much between them. I prefer the 20D because the 350D is much smaller. Consequently I find operating the buttons a bit fiddly.
The 20D has a control wheel on the back in addition to the one on the front by the shutter release, so making changes to things like exposure compensation ir using the camera in manual mode is much easier.

I think I'm right in saying the 400D has a bigger screen, which may be an advantage. But personally, it's not a huge issue as I only tend to squint at the histogram to check exposure.

Hope this helps.

I will be replacing my 400D with a 30D, however my choice for this is that i will be using it as a second body to my 50D that i get at the end of the week. the ergomincs are the same and the buttons etc are in the same place.

But i dont feel that its any less a camera and in some respects its more. better dynamic range, noise handling is better, better ISO range. FPS is better. The down side is less pixel count however i dont feel this is a restriction

So in answer to your question you need to ask yourself what features are more important to you?

I was in the same boat 18 months to 2 years ago and after handling both I went for the 20D as it felt much better in my hands, as well as being much better built.

If you were in the market for a different car, would you buy a brand new focus, or a 10 year old Mondeo ?

If you were in the market for a different car, would you buy a brand new focus, or a 10 year old Mondeo ?

You've got a point, the relative condition of each should be considered. :)

Having handled both I would go with the more up-to-date model, the 400D, but really it sounds like the 30D is what you need. :)

(This probably doesn't help!)

Having handled both I would go with the more up-to-date model, the 400D, but really it sounds like the 30D is what you need. :)

(This probably doesn't help!)

I agree. The 30D would be a better option. Check out the LCE website. I think they may have a few secondhand on there! Then with the money you save invest in a quality optic instead of the usual kit lens.

My point again, is that nobody knows what the o/p wants from a camera, yet everyone is quick to recommend he rush out and buy a 20D.

Morph (on this forum) had a 400D, he then changed for a 20D which is way better for shooting aircraft, as the af is alot quicker. So it depends what you want it for.
Dean:)

well i went with the 20D, it is lovely, arrived 2day and looks in fantastic condition for a second hand camera.

thanks to MPB photographic for the excellent service

pot xx

and wanting it for action shots for sports (skiing, MTB and sailing) so the quick AF was a huge plus

pot

A good choice, did you decide on lenses to go with it?

i jsut upgraded to a 30d from a 400d, it arrived this morning and its sooo nice to hold, alot bigger, chunkier, buttons will take some time to get used to though :D

i jsut upgraded to a 30d from a 400d, it arrived this morning and its sooo nice to hold, alot bigger, chunkier, buttons will take some time to get used to though :D

Im sure you will love it mate.
When i upgraded from the 350d to a 40d, it got me so excieted that i didnt put it down for the rest of the day, even though i was at work :LOL:

Whats happening at 2.30? i presume pm and not am? :LOL:

lol i forgot the "work" part of that post

off to work at 2:30, im a mobile fitter and keep missing the lovely sunsets i see wheilst driving round hampshire

ye, i took mine to the local ski slope today to try get some jump pics, got a few nice ones but don't have the first clue how to edit them so that will give me something to work on :p

i got the standard kit lens (18-55mm) and it seems good for now :) am also looking at the 70-300mm and the 50mm

pot

The 20d is a sturdy solid camera with a good frame rate suited perhaps for sport or action and was a prosumer (semi pro) version, the 400d is newer and has more MP but not so sturdly built and has a lot slower frame rate and was intended as an entry level camera in it's day, quality wise I doubt you'll see a lot between them, even in large prints.
The 20d is getting on a little now, if moneys not an problem check out the 40/50d, both of these are much better than the 20d. Wayne

the only reason money was not an issue between these was that they were both going second hand at around the same price, if new, money would have been a big issue

pot

Back