40D/400D sensor cleaning does it work?

Galaxy66

Jeremy Beadle
Name
My name is Mal not Jeremy :)
Edit My Images
Yes
Just wondering if this system really works, has anyone had to resort to manual sensor cleaning.

Well had my 400D now a few months changed the lens on a number of occasions indoors and as of yet still not noticed any dark spots on any of my pictures.

Thou I tend to switch it on then off holding it face down with no lens on at first.

In a little over a year, so far, touch wood and all that, I haven't had a "problem" with my 400D

I've got a 400D and not seen any dark spots so far, I've owned it about 9 months. I've got a 40D coming so hopefully the system will prove as useful on that.

Must ask all above if you regularly shoot at f/11 or higher, i.e. 16, 22 and so on?

Do this and do report back after you have shot a white or constant blue sky:D

To answer the original question - I personally think the cleaning system is a gimmick.

Had a 400d for a few days when they had just launched and would only swop my 350 if the 400 came with a 300 f/2,8.

Most dust specs on the 400 didn't move despite repeated on's and off's.:shrug:

Ask yourself - if the dust moved, where would it go and how long would it be before it found it's way back to the sensor:thinking::LOL:

Must ask all above if you regularly shoot at f/11 or higher, i.e. 16, 22 and so on?

Do this and do report back after you have shot a white or constant blue sky:D

To answer the original question - I personally think the cleaning system is a gimmick.

Had a 400d for a few days when they had just launched and would only swop my 350 if the 400 came with a 300 f/2,8.

Most dust specs on the 400 didn't move despite repeated on's and off's.:shrug:

Ask yourself - if the dust moved, where would it go and how long would it be before it found it's way back to the sensor:thinking::LOL:

Its supposed to collect in some area or other and not be able to return to sender sensor

f/16 in the UK ? are you mad? :D

Its supposed to collect in some area or other and not be able to return to sender sensor

f/16 in the UK ? are you mad? :D

Yes, I have also heard that one:wacky:

Somebody once told me that it worked much like a toaster and there is this little trap door you open and voila, the dust comes out:wacky::LOL::bonk:

I hear what you say about f/16 in the U.K.:LOL: You have a tripod don't you:naughty:

You should see dust from f/11.

Cheers m8

Yes, I have also heard that one:wacky:

Somebody once told me that it worked much like a toaster and there is this little trap door you open and voila, the dust comes out:wacky::LOL::bonk:

I hear what you say about f/16 in the U.K.:LOL: You have a tripod don't you:naughty:

You should see dust from f/11.

Cheers m8

Tripod yep, instructions on how to use nope :D
Actually I have some f /16 + shots from the summer, (remember that folks? :shrug:) with a nifty, I just run back through a few of them and they look fine (y)

Bought my 400D in June, heaps of spots all over. I also think the self cleaning is a sales gimmick!

:(

I've had a couple of small blobs on my 400D since it was bought in 06, the auto sensor cleaning will not shift them therefore I am of the opinion that they are either specs of pollen or grease from the inner workings of the camera.

Apart from those two the 400D does a good job IMO

I also have a 40D who's sensor cleaning also seems to be doing the job - although I've not really used this body for landscapes yet therefore I've not seen a lot of results at narrow apertures

Why does everyone say you need a tripod to take a dust detection shot? I understand that you need a small aperture e.g. f/22 and this will lead to a slow shutter speed but as you should be taking a shot of a plain white background, any camera shake is irrelevant. The dust is on the sensor and will not move relative to the sensor even if the camera moves on a 1 sec exposure. Just hold the camera at a white sheet of paper and do a long small apperture exposure.

Av, f22, iso 100, point at sky and shoot and wave the camera around. You don't need a tripod, actually you don't want to use one because the dust is always be stationary. Take the pic in photoshop and auto level. You'll be shocked.

I've got what looks like a fine hair on the mirror as well. Is there any way to get it off easily? (doesn't show on pictures either)

Dust will never shown on the photos, you guys know that right. However, it might effect metering

Is dust a problem for other people? I've had my D200 for 4-5 months now and never had a need to clean the lens despite having three of them that I change between regularly. I have not even thought about cleaning the sensor yet, I have had a look using the bulb setting but it looks spotless to me.

Had my 400D for 4 months, and it has dust. Right accross the top half, so a clear sky shot shows it off. Hardly ever change the lens. Camera usually sits on my sofa, so I can grab it quickly.
Maybe I'm unlucky; or should do my housework more often. :thinking:

Back