40D & External Flash

Name
Morgan Lee
Edit My Images
No
Having some problems with my 40D since last week.

Went too Mallorca last week and while out shooting in the town at night with my 580EXII, the flash kept switching from ETTL to TTL and wouldn't work properly was very strange so I switched off the flash and turned back on and it was ok, then it did it again and again.

Also I was messing around with my 430EXIIs and getting it to master them but it wouldn't do it all the time and again wouldn't stay on ETTL mode, then the camera wouldn't communicate with it and through the camera i couldn't access any of the flashes custom functions. I thought it was a battery problems so slapped some new batteries in and it was still doing it.

Now today i've gone to use the flashes again and its having the same problem with all of my flashes attached to the camera, wont stay on ETTL and it wont access the custom functions, have put new battery in the 40D and i've cleared all of the setings and cleaned all of the contacts on the Hotshoe.

Anyone had this problem before or know if i'm doing anything stupid that i've overlooked? its really bugging me and I've only had the 40D 6months now so its still in warrenty but stil a pain.

Cheers

I pleased you have posted this thread, because that happened to me a couple of times (40D and 580exII) and I thought it was me doing something stupid - maybe it is - and I have been meaning to read the instruction booklet again. But may be, just may be it's not my fault.

Let's see what happens.....

The most likely cause is a poor connection at the hot shoe. Make sure all the pins on the flash are clean and that none of them are stuck in (it can happen). Also make sure all the contact faces of the hot shoe of the 40D are clean.

if the flash head is angled up at all does that turn off some functions?
I have a 40D and will be upgrading from a 430 to a 580 for events soon.
so very interested in how this turns out

Taking cam and flashes into jessops today as thats where i bought it, gonna have ago on other bodys see if its my flashes and or me being a numpty, if not then its off to cannon and upto 30days to repair which means can't take it on holiday next month :(.

Rubbish.

Back