40d file tranfer problems

Name
chris
Edit My Images
No
hi
recently got a canon 40d and after taking some pic's i have transfered them using a sandisk imagemate to my pc, however some of the files are showing as CR2 files and won't allow me to view the pic's

any idea why and how to overcome this....?

thanks

Hello, the CR2 files are RAW and you need the DPP software that came with the camera to open them, hope this helps, regards Damian. :)

open PS CS3 file/ open as/ Camera Raw from the drop down list Adobe camera will open

Oh forgot dont forget to get the latest CR and dont forget next time you open a jpg or any other format to change it or it will open all files as CR so you need to change it back
HTH

Dave

open photoshop go to file open as, choose your raw file, then choose the extension. lower down change to Camera Raw

Bt the way any JPG can be opened as CR for any adjustments

or as below if you dont have PS use DPP

Which software are you using - if Lightroom you need to download the 40D plug in...

If you don't have hundreds of pounds to throw away on Adobe products then the DPP software that came with the 40D is fine. RAW is a funny beast as every company uses different flavours, Canon just happens to be called CR2. When you find your files use DPP to sharpen or whatever then batch process them to change them to jpegs or TIFF files. These can then be used for other purposes, printing, putting on a website etc. Hope this helps but spend a bit of time with DPP to learn to use it properly, its pretty good

Back