40D just died on me

Name
John
Edit My Images
No
I have been using my 40D all morning. Stopped for lunch, leaving the camera on the tripod in the next room. After lunch, switched camera on - and no response. Completely dead. Checked battery, cleaned contacts, changed lenses, changed CF card - but the camera is completely dead. The only possible cause could be that the camera flopped forwards on the tripod - which gave it a little bump. But I should have thought the 40D would withstand that. It's not as though I dropped it. Feel as if I must be going mad. Camera is 13 months old. Never given any trouble before. Any suggestions? Has anyone experienced similar? How did you get things put right? :shake:

Has it got a grip on it, if so remove it and try again to start it.

fresh battery?

Yes, the same happened to me, when my 40D was just over 12 months old and out of warranty. It just died on me. I had it repaired to the cost of £160 (ouch ), Apparently with mine one of the two circuit boards? had given up. It's all fine now and I'm still happy with the camera.
Dave.

Mine died on me a couple of moths after buying it. I was using it one day, the next, it just stopped. I sent it to Colchester Camera repairs, and they fixed it under warranty. Apparently the main circuit board had fried!!!
Been great since.
Dean:)

I had exactly the same thing happen to me camera 16 months old - sent it to colchester camera repair who tbh where hopeless - sent a quote for £160 which was duely paid then sent a further quote for £365 saying it needed a new curcuit board - this must be a problem with the 40D series. Luckily its insured so managed to write it of and now have a 50D

Or go talk to trading standards about sale of goods/fitness for purpose and the evil EU 2year legislation.

Sorry - I know that doesnt sound too helpful, but I'm going out and google should help you find something with that.

So, Foxymoose, the repair charge would have been equal to the cost of a new camera.

I should have thought a quote is a quote is a quote, and should be legally binding. But I expect there is always a letout clause somewhere.

Back