40D movie mode

Edit My Images
Yes
Calling 40D owners!

Can anyone tell me more about the movie mode on the 40D please? I'm trying to get my head around a stills camera acting like a movie camera...............

What are the resulting images like? How are the images recorded? :thinking:

Thanks.

There is no "Movie mode".
I guess what you mean is "live view" where you can use the LCD instead of the viewfinder. You lose the ability to easily autofocus, but dont have to peer down the eyepeice all the time.
You get one capture for each time you press the shutter button (unless you are in machine gun mode) same as a normal [D]SLR.

Ah.

OK, thanks.

Could you use this output (via a PC or laptop) as a 'movie' though?

Its a photographic camera not a video camera. If you want video buy a video camera.

Yes, but I have a project where the client needs moving images and to end on a very high quality still ~ a movie camera will not give the still the client needs.

Ah.

OK, thanks.

Could you use this output (via a PC or laptop) as a 'movie' though?

it's thoretically possible, I wouldn't want to put money on it though...you might be better getting an HD camcorder though for what you want.

I would imagine there are some good video cameras out there that would take a decent still image.

Yes, but I have a project where the client needs moving images and to end on a very high quality still ~ a movie camera will not give the still the client needs.

Either way you're still limited by the resolution of the end video. So if you get a 3000x2000 image its still got to be resized down to video res. So theres plenty of video cameras out there that'll do the job. You don't see film makers shooting with 40D's and movies look pretty darn nice. If its to end on a still image then whats the problem?

What resolution will the presentation be made in? Breezesys do software called DSLR Remote which might do what you want.

http://www.breezesys.com/products.htm#dslr

I already use that software and that was what I was thinking of using.

Alot of this is pie in the sky at the mo, with the client changing what they need all the time:bang:

Can anyone recommend a good video camera (must be small/light).

Thanks.

I already use that software and that was what I was thinking of using.

Alot of this is pie in the sky at the mo, with the client changing what they need all the time:bang:

Can anyone recommend a good video camera (must be small/light).

Thanks.

Bit OT but the Sony HDR HC range is very good. 1080i and all that

Back