40D Tripod???

Edit My Images
No
Hi

Sorry for more questions about tripods, but i cannot seem to find a thread with 40D's or similar!

I am looking for a tripod for my new 40D which will be mainly used for night shots (long shutter speed) and landscapes.

I have been looking at the Silk 700DX and the Manfrotto 190XB, but unsure what to buy?

Does anyone recommened either of these or any other suggestions??

Thanks

I've just got the Slik tripod you mention. Nice and easy to use, although I've not had chance to take it out for a proper play yet!

I suppose the main difference between the two is the weight - if you are wanting to use longer shutter speeds then the Slik might be the better choice with it being heavier.

what lenses you using?

its the weight of the lenses which are going to play the biggest part in deciding what to get. the weight of the camera isnt too much of an issue since it sits directly over the centre of the tripod, a heavy lens will affect the centre of gravity and will mean you need something bigger and stronger.

I haven't got anything particularly heavy...a 40d with the 17-85 and 70-300 kit lenses

I haven't got anything particularly heavy...a 40d with the 17-85 and 70-300 kit lenses
Well it isn't what you have now, it's what you may have in the future, so as Trip says, are you talking about a 40D with the 50mm lens, or a 40D with the 600mm and flashgun mounted in the hotshoe?

A tripod is one of the most important things you'll ever buy and needs to be a careful consideration.

Thanks for the comments!!!

[what lenses you using?/QUOTE]

Well at the moment i just have the standard 17-55mm lens that came with it, but as i am studying architecture and take plenty of buildings, i will eventually buy something to suit that.

I have been recommenened the Sigma 10-20mm (if that helps)???

the 10-20 is relatively light and short so shouldn't affect the balance too much.

i used a 20d with a 10-20 on a manfrotto 190 & 460mg head. its a fairly lightweight head but coped nicely, having switched to a 24-70 f/2.8, the head cant quite cut it anymore. the lens is twice the length and weight though.

buying something like the manfrotto means you will have good options to upgrade later if you get bigger, heavier lenses.

the 190 legs are a good compromise between weight and strength, cant comment on the slic though since i haven't used one.

Back