40D Trouble - Help!!!

Name
Alistair Vannet
Edit My Images
Yes
I just go my 40D this morning, I've not really taken it out yet for a real test run but I have been messing about in the house with it. I'm a bit worried by the high ISO noise, the camera has been set in the high iso noise reduction CF. I can not get the camera to go to 100iso or 3200iso, I have switched the iso exspansion on in the CF menu and a few other setting are not doing as I would like?? It really is driving me around the bend???? :(

Here are some iso samples just a WB adjustment to all of them, they were all taken at the same WB so its the same adjustment, nothing eles

TestISOImages1of3.jpg

TestISOImages2of3.jpg

TestISOImages3of3.jpg

What iso were those shots taken at,? the do seem noisy. All I can suggest is have a good read of the instruction book m8, I doubt anyone else has had a chance to play with one properly yet.

Tbh for iso 1600 that's not at all bad but the iso 200 shot is not good.

Bear in mind, are you doing ANY post processing on these shots?

I used to be worried about noise on my 350 and my 30D, until I realised, that any exposure compensation (especially at higher ISO's) really brings out the noise in shots.

I can not get the camera to go to 100iso

If you cannot go below iso 200 then check your custom functions. If you have highlight tone priority enabled it restricts the ISO.

If it has inherited all the HTP functionality from the MKIII then it may also display ISO 200 as 2oo as well when enabled.

Hope that helps with that part. :)

Ah.. just spotted your other post. ;)

I've just re -et the camera and I'm getting the full iso range from 100 - 3200 (H) so that better. Gotta play with it a bit more now :)

But its the HTP thingy. ;)

If you cannot go below iso 200 then check your custom functions. If you have highlight tone priority enabled it restricts the ISO.

If it has inherited all the HTP functionality from the MKIII then it may also display ISO 200 as 2oo as well when enabled.

Hope that helps with that part. :)

Ah.. just spotted your other post. ;)

But its the HTP thingy. ;)

Ahhh Now I get it. Thanks for your help, Much appricated (y)

Were the pictures exposed correctly? I note that they were all set manually and they differ quite significantly.

The EXIF data says:
#1: ISO 200, 1/5 at f/2.8
#2: ISO 1250, 1/6 at f/2.8
#3: ISO 1600, 1/20 at f/2.8

So, compared to #2, #3 is under-exposed by >1 stop and #1 is under-exposed by >2 stops. Under-exposure will always give you more noise, regardless of the ISO setting...

Back