Edit My Images
Yes
5d mk1 or 1ds mk1

would they be better than the 40d ? if yes in which way

depends what do you like to shoot

Portraiture front room mostly at the mo,
reptiles mostly macro,
soon Landscapes,nightshots,buildings etc thats it

Define "better" and your question will start to make some sense.

sorry what was wrong with the question,

5d mk1 or 1ds mk1 would they be better than the 40d ? if yes in which way "
hoping that owner s would be able to tell me if/why there better

do you have one ??

The 5D and 1Ds are both full frame systems and are handy for portraiture and things along those lines and macro would be good with them too

The 40D is a semi pro body but this would be aimed more at the average user of someone developing an interest in sports due to the 6.5fps

thanks for replying richard, someone told me id be going backwards getting either of them 2 models,
as there older and not as good ?

And the 40D, having a 1.6 crop sensor would be better suited where more reach is required - wildlife, aviation, etc.

thanks for replying richard, someone told me id be going backwards getting either of them 2 models,
as there older and not as good ?

The 5D is excellent and although quite old still handles noise excellently(probably better than the 40D)

You would be going backwards in terms of Frames per seconds(5D is 3fps i think)But in term of image quaility the 5D is excellent from what i've seen/read

I went from a 40D to a 1DMKII, even though the 40D is a very good camera, I was getting more and more frustrated at the a/f speed compared with a 1 series body.

So even though the 1D MKII has a digic 2 processor rather than 4, has a few less pixels, I get a slightly faster frame rate than the 40D, and lightning fast a/f.

I think going back to a 1DS MKI may be a step to far.

Define "better" and your question will start to make some sense.

What I think Stewart was trying to say is in what way do you feel your photos would be "better" by making the switch to either a 5D mk1 or a 1ds mk1 and that once you can answer that question you are well on your way to answering your own question.

Something that you will miss out on by making the switch from your 40D is the sensor cleaning function, so I hope you are handy at cleaning it yourself. Having said that I have still had to manually clean the sensor twice on my 40D during the year I have owned it, so perhaps it is not that useful anyway.

thanks les guess its was the ff of the 1ds ,5d attacted my attension, mk1 only ,

What I think Stewart was trying to say is in what way do you feel your photos would be "better" by making the switch to either a 5D mk1 or a 1ds mk1 and that once you can answer that question you are well on your way to answering your own question.

ahh right , no idea if they would make mine any better honstly ,hence asking.
Something that you will miss out on by making the switch from your 40D is the sensor cleaning function, so I hope you are handy at cleaning it yourself. Having said that I have still had to manually clean the sensor twice on my 40D during the year I have owned it, so perhaps it is not that useful anyway
dust dust get every where , pain of swapping lens, ahhh buy two or more bodies and dont change lens lol

I have the 5Dmk1 and would prefer it to the 40D. Not saying the 40D is a bad camera but the 5D is just better. Plus full frame, which means larger photosites which will help with noise.

As far as sensor dust is concerned, had to clean the 5D twice in about 2 years. Sensor brush takes about 2 minutes and that includes "charging the brush". May be a bit scary for some people first time, but after a couple of goes no problem

As I understand it, when compared to the 40D:

1DSmk1:
Pros - Full frame, 1 series AF (it's awesome), pro level metering, weather sealed, effectively has it's own built in grip
Cons - Eats batteries, weight

5D
Pros - Better high ISO
Cons - FAT16 I believe on memory cards

Both:
Pros - Full frame which has an advantage on controlling DOF
Cons - Won't work with EFS lenses, newer functionality like sensor cleaning is missing, I'm guessing the 40D also has a bigger screen

As I understand it, when compared to the 40D:

1DSmk1:
Pros - Full frame, 1 series AF (it's awesome), pro level metering, weather sealed, effectively has it's own built in grip
Cons - Eats batteries, weight

5D
Pros - Better high ISO
Cons - FAT16 I believe on memory cards

Both:
Pros - Full frame which has an advantage on controlling DOF
Cons - Won't work with EFS lenses, newer functionality like sensor cleaning is missing, I'm guessing the 40D also has a bigger screen
and which one is better in high ISO? or they are same?

5D (Mk I) the best of the lot by far in terms of high ISO noise.

I never owned a 40D but I am not convinced that it is that great in the noise department...that said, not much worse than a 20D...

The 5D (Mk I) kicks the 1Ds MkII's butt in terms of noise but to say this would encourage pixel peeping. Focus on getting the shot.

The 1Ds MkI is not a bad camera but it chews batteries...horribly. Wish I could find links to where I read it...I can assure you I only repeat opinions from reputable sites and my own experience. The only real reason to get a 1Ds MkI would be to enjoy the phenominal 1D AF. Once you are used to this you cannot go back.

Obviously a lot also depends on what you shoot.

As for better in 40D vs 5D (MkI), there really is no better, simply different for distinctly separate purposes.

HTH and I didn't add to the confusion.

would have been to get 5dmk1 or 1ds mk1 just for the full frame ,
but think ill stick with the 40d for now
cheers all for repling (y)

Can't say I really agree with that. A mate of mine has a 40D and although, admittedly, it is brighter and punchier than that of the 5D it also pixellates on occasion and I wouldn't call it that much better.

my 2c...but then I don't have much use for the display most of the time.

well i landed up buying a 5d tonight,

shocked about having no flash

well i landed up buying a 5d tonight,

shocked about having no flash

Count it as encouragement to get a decent flash like an EX, which is not only a lot more powerful, but more importantly will allow easy bouncing of the flash off walls and ceilings.

i ve got sigma that works of camera,with a cord or stick on a stuidoflash stand

Count it as encouragement to get a decent flash like an EX, which is not only a lot more powerful, but more importantly will allow easy bouncing of the flash off walls and ceilings.

I know where there's a decent flash just waiting for a 5D ;)

well after few shots diff lens extra ,think i perfer the 40d over the 5d,:wacky::shrug:
anyone want a 5d

the 5D is a great camera for portraiture from when I've used it.
Pity it hasn't worked out for you...
but something no-one on here addressed...
what glass are you using??
if you have L glass and want to go wide, then full frame.
The overall quality of the 5D should be better but for high ISO the newer cameras are making good advances.
for that you stated in your 2nd post, I think you've made the right choice. it all depends on your lenses though

Portraiture front room mostly at the mo,
reptiles mostly macro,
soon Landscapes,nightshots,buildings etc thats it
, those are the things that interest me

these are my lens
canon 28-90mm lens f4/5.6
canon 100mm macro f2.8.
sigma 24-70 f2.8.
sigma 70-200 f2.8.
canon 85mm f1.8. just got
50mm f1.8

perhaps its just me, not giving it a chance, or something,just not what i expected if that makes sense

Back