420EX focus assist beam on a 40D...

Edit My Images
No
Hi all,

I know that the 420EX supports upto 7 focus points and not the 9 in the 40D but is there anything to stop the focus assist LED's from lighting when in use?

Try as I might (and I admit it's probably a FTFM moment - I have tried at least) I cannot get the LED's to work.

I'm hoping I don't have to upgrade my Flash as well now else it's just another excuse to order a 580EX II :LOL:

TIA

It won't work in AI Servo mode. Unlikely to be the problem but it's stumped me on one occasion before.

xolotl,

Thanks for the reply. No, I've checked and this is definately when in "1 shot" drive mode.

Anybody else got any ideas where I'm ging wrong?

what do you mean you cant get the focus assist led's to "work"? do you mean the led's dont flash in the viewfinder... or something to do with the flash?

I have just found this which might help:

An important thing to remember is that the AF assist light works only if your camera is in One-shot mode - it will not illuminate in AI Servo or in any icon AE mode which employs AI Servo, such as the Sports mode. This is because the camera is constantly focussing and refocussing when in AI Servo mode, in order to track subject motion.

Also, if you have a camera body with multiple focussing points and your flash unit’s AF assist light isn’t lighting up in low light it’s probably because the AF light on the flash you happen to be using cannot cover your currently selected (ie: non-centre) focussing point. Many flash units have AF assist lights which can only illuminate the area around the central point. Switch to the central focussing point and the flash unit’s AF assist light should start working.

Back