430EX or 580EX?

dod

TPer Emeritus
Name
Ebenezer McScrooge III
Edit My Images
Yes
Just wondering if anyones used both of these and would say the 580 justifies the extra price tag? Right now the one thing which is pushing me is the ability for the 580 (or the 550 for that matter) to take an external power source. But is it really that much better??

Had the sigma to bits and it's only working intermittently even though I can't actually find or see anything wrong with it.

Dod, go for the 580 EX. The way that ETTL works is more elaborate on this version (Can't remember the full technical differences but if I find it I will post here) which would probably better suit the sports shots you take. I have the 550 EX and very happy with it.

Gary

OK Dod I mislead you there. The ETTL-2 system is that same in both units but apparently older lenses will not work with the ETTL-2 system (don't know which ones :shrug:)

The 580EX will recycle about 25% faster than my 550EX which is no slouch but I agree could be faster. I did however buy mine secondhand and saved quite a few quid!

The 580 will have about twice the light output of the 430 but this may not be as big a consideration as, say, the weight as you must be pretty well laden by now :D

If you want a shot of my 550 just shout, I am in Inverness.

Cheers

Gary.

PS Expect learning curve with flash as it (ETTL-2 flashes) can overexpose if left to it's own devices (well documented) but can soon be tamed.

The 430EX and 580EX are both new Flash units and support the same ETTL-II features (as do all Canon EX flash units)

The 580EX has the following over the 430EX
  • more Flash power - 58 meters vs 43 meters (ISO 100)
  • Variable stroboscopic flash operation
  • External power options
  • Sophisticated manual control
  • Wireless controller for wireless flash operation and it can also act as a slave.
  • Ability to switch to TTL only on a film camera

If the above are requirements then go for the 580EX :)

I think there's a difference between the 550 and 430/580 in colour temperature control and also automatic sensing of sensor size to adjust the flash out put to suit the cam you're using. How much difference that really makes I've no idea.

I might just take you up on that offer thanks, I've an office in Sneckie so I'm here most days. Be good to get an idea of how it performs in comparison to the sigma.

Edit: SDK, the only one which MIGHT be required is the seperate power . You don't know how the recycle times compare do you? CAnt find that anywhere

dod said:
Edit: SDK, the only one which MIGHT be required is the seperate power . You don't know how the recycle times compare do you? CAnt find that anywhere

Canon 430EX Speedlite E-TTL - Recycle Time 3.7 Seconds
Canon 580EX Speedlite E-TTL - Recycle Time 6 Seconds

(based on alkaline batteries & full power)

I have the 550 and sometimes with fill flash it really is hit and miss, it has a tendency to blow all the highlights for you, Speaking to a couple of boys from PA and they have used both and prefer the 580, nuff said.

I have the 430 ex on my 20d and it does everything i ask of it.
If I could have one extra feature from the 580 though, it would be the ability to trigger another flash.

The 430 will fire as a slave if triggered by the 580 or the little wireless transmitter thingy. But for a bit more than the cost difference between the 430 and the 580 you could buy a cheap entry level set of studio lights if multi flash was a must.

You can never have too much power in a flashgun, and flagship guns like the 580EX and the Nikon equivalents, represent the most powerful units you can mount on your camera hotshoe. Having relied on flashguns so much at weddings, it's one item I'd never compromise on.

Thanks for all the replies folks, now sitting with a nice new 580. What's the story with the battery compartment door though. Is it supposed to be as stiff to open, I'm a bit scared to try to force it to be honest :eek:

dod said:
Thanks for all the replies folks, now sitting with a nice new 580. What's the story with the battery compartment door though. Is it supposed to be as stiff to open, I'm a bit scared to try to force it to be honest :eek:

Mine was the same... it will loosen up though. Just give it some welly. :D

CT said:
Mine was the same... it will loosen up though. Just give it some welly. :D
Ta. That's ridiculous, you'd think they'd get something as basic as that sorted :annoyed:

If you search the forums - I said the same about the battery cover when I got mine...and so did Bachs :)

RobertP said:
hehe. I slid it down then tried to open it... It didn't open very far..so I closed it again...opened it and pulled a little harder, it then opened a bit further but it felt like something just broke. Closed it again and it fitted... so I opened it again... same feeling of something breaking so I just went for it.

Has to be the strangest hinge design I've seen in a while.

That is exactly what I did, slowly

dod said:
Ta. That's ridiculous, you'd think they'd get something as basic as that sorted :annoyed:

I had a survey email last year from Canon professional services.
It was for a flash.

It covered things like the battery door, metal hotshoe mount, etc.....

So it looks like when the new range comes out some things may be different.
Canon may have listened to the quibbles people have made about their kit.

Back